The BJP on Tuesday told its MPs to communicate to the public the stand its government has taken to protect the interests of farmers at the WTO and assure them that it would not compromise with their interests at any cost.
The World Trade Organisation is facing a "crisis" because of disagreement -- most notably with India -- over improved customs procedures, the United States said Friday.
India threatened on Friday to block a worldwide reform of custom rules, which some estimates say could add $1 trillion to the global economy and create 21 million jobs, prompting a U.S. warning that its demands could kill global trade reform efforts.
India blocked an agreement on new global customs rules on Thursday, angering fellow members of the World Trade Organization who say Delhi`s veto could be costly, economically and politically.
The European Union has filed a formal complaint against Russia at the WTO over Moscow`s embargo on pork from the bloc, trade sources said Friday.
India on Friday threatened to drag the European Union to the World Trade Organization over its ban on mango imports.
The US on Monday challenged the domestic content requirement of India`s solar mission, which it alleged is discriminatory and against international norms, including WTO laws.
Cabinet approved the stand taken by India at the ninth ministerial conference of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) held in Bali in Indonesia Dec 3-7.
Expressing concern over WTO`s permissible food subsidy limit norms, CPI(M) said India should not give in to the "unjust pressure" of the world body and western powers.
The main building of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) was partially evacuated on Tuesday after a "suspicious vehicle" was found parked outside the building, Xinhua reported.
Medvedev has dismissed allegations that the US-Russia relations have deteriorated as of late over a range of issues.
India and Pakistan are going to
battle it hard for a vacancy for judge at the WTO’s highest
court for trade disputes- the Appellate Body-- after New Delhi
nominated former trade envoy Ujal Singh Bhatia as its
PM Putin said Russia hopes to join 153-member WTO in 2011,completing a process that began in 1993.
China said it was concerned about parts of a ruling made by the WTO in an anti-dumping dispute between Washington and
The US is examining comments
including from India that a new law, which aims to raise funds
for border security through a hike in select workers` visa
fees, was not WTO compliant.
India may drag US to the World
Trade Organisation for its new "protectionist" move in hiking
professional visa fees, a step that will make Indian IT
companies less competitive in the American market.
China`s Internet "firewall" is a trade barrier and needs to be tackled within the framework of the World Trade Organization, Neelie Kroes, vice-president of the European Commission, told reporters in Shanghai on Monday.
India will join a WTO panel as an `observer` that would give the country an insight into how governments of developed countries place multi-billion procurement orders with the industry.
The United States has won a case against China at the World Trade Organisation which has ruled that it is illegally restricting imports of movies, music and books into the country.
India on Tuesday slammed the Obama
administration for not appointing its negotiators at the WTO,
thus delaying conclusion of the already stretched global trade
talks initiated in Doha in 2001.
India Tuesday reiterated that an early conclusion of the Doha round of World Trade Organisation (WTO) talks was in the country`s "best interest".
The World Trade Organisation chief
urged members on Monday to resist protectionist pressure in the
wake of the economic crisis, but said hopes of an early deal
to free up international commerce are uncertain.
India on Wednesday asked for speedy resolution of major differences among the emerging and developed nations to meet the 2010 deadline to conclude the Doha Round talks and further opening up of global trade.
Trade ministers were wrapping up three days of WTO talks on Wednesday with little headway seen on ending an eight-year stalemate on framing a trade liberalisation accord ahead of a 2010 deadline.
The troubled global trade round is hanging in the balance as ministers and officials of the 153-member World Trade Organisation (WTO) gather in Geneva Wednesday for the final day of talks aimed at reviewing the WTO`s work.
The Doha trade talks are likely to dominate the three-day WTO conference of 153 trade ministers beginning here Monday, though hardcore negotiations are not part of the official agenda.
India`s exports, which saw the steepest fall of 39.2 percent in May at the height of the global financial crisis, stands arrested at 6.6 percent in October.
In the run-up to the seventh WTO Ministerial Meeting in Geneva beginning November 30, India has
proposed urgent reforms in the functioning of the multilateral
India on Friday warned negotiators against holding out for the best possible outcome on individual issues in Doha, saying it blocked progress at a time when patience with the world trade talks was wearing thin.
Keen to conclude the Doha trade
talks by 2010, India on Friday asked the WTO members to settle for
the "second best" deal, if the best is not possible.
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Fast N Facts @7:30 pm
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- What is the truth behind Journalist Akshay Singh's death?
- The mystery behind the deaths of Vyapam Scam continues- Part II
- Arvind Kejriwal wants referendum on statehood for Delhi
- Vyapam scam: CBI probe only if courts intervene, says Rajnath Singh
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Uddhav Thakeray hits out at BJP, says corruption visible everywhere
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Dalai Lama birthday celebrations draw support, protests in US
- OROP protest stays, meeting with Parrikar likely
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Pallavi Joshi resigns from FTII, lends support to students
- Hizbul Mujahideen chief Salahuddin still wants to come back: Dulat
- Soon, 'selfies' to verify online payments!
- Genome sequencing brings woolly mammoth clones closer
- Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 51