With a modest total of 139 to defend, that too against a RCB line-up that had chased down above 200 twice before coming into the final was an improbable task but with the likes of talismanic Malinga, mercurial Pollard and the charismatic Harbhajan Singh in the ranks, the Bangalore challenge was squashed by the Indians.
Malinga, who also won the Golden Wicket award for the most number of wickets, 10, said: "I am happy that our team won. I am in the Mumbai Indians team as a bowler, but I managed to score a few runs also.”
Daniel Vettori said Harbhajan Singh`s economical three-wicket haul coupled with his own team`s poor batting cost them the title.
Statistical highlights of the Champions League Twenty20 final between Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Malinga (2/23) and Harbhajan (3/20) shone with the ball to eke out a 31-run triumph for Mumbai.
Harbhajan Singh termed his team`s Champions League T20 triumph as a "great achievement" considering the fact they didn`t have lot of top players.
Both the teams have never won an IPL tournament and it would be the first ever silverware in their empty trophy cabinet post Sunday’s clash.
Australia`s Twenty20 expert David Warner has credited former chairman of selectors Greg Chappell for his recent success in Champions League Twenty20.
Warner is mounting a serious challenge to Usman Khawaja for the spare batsman`s berth for the Test series against South Africa.
The English county side lost by 10 runs to Mumbai Indian to bow out of the event.
Harbhajan Singh said beating ousted title holders Chennai Super Kings was the biggest morale-booster for his injury-ravaged side.
The two wickets by James Franklin in the 19th over set up victory for Mumbai Indians, according to skipper Harbhajan Singh.
Mumbai Indians beat Somerset by 10 runs in the second semifinal of the Champions League T20 to set up a clash with RCB on Sunday.
New South Wales captain Simon Katich if not for RCB batsmen Virat Kohli and Chris Gayle, his side could have won the first Champions League Twenty20 semifinal.
Virat Kohli struck a match-winning unbeaten 84 while Chris Gayle laid the foundation with a quickfire 92 to power Royal Challengers Bangalore to the final.
Somerset captain Alfonso Thomas believes it would be a "challenge" to take on Mumbai Indians in the Champions League T20 semifinal on Saturday.
- Watch: Truck driver pulls break on time to avoid accident; saves 3 lives
- Pak High Commission behind terror funding in J&K: Zahoor Watali
- JD(U) passes resolution to join NDA - Watch report
- Teachers force students to convert religion; FIR lodged
- Gorakhpur: Yogi Adityanath accuses previous govts for deaths of children
- DNA: Know why the number of engineering colleges are reducing in India
- Kalinga Utkal express derails at UP's Muzaffarnagar
- Watch: Clashes of Indian-Chinese soldiers' at Ladakh
- Portal launched for online registration of madrasas in UP
- DNA: Know what's there in the upcoming DSC Show
- DNA: Non Stop News
- DNA : Today In History, August 18, 2017
- Track repair was being carried out without station master's permission - Watch report
- DNA: Analysing the degradation of moral values in Indian Society
- Watch: First official briefing after Muzaffarnagar train accident
- Aadhaar Card: Here's how to verify your email address, mobile number
- MP: Man assaults woman at gym, brutally kicks her -Watch video
- WATCH: Virat Kohli loses cool after watching child assault video
- 23 dead, many injured as 14 coaches of Utkal Express derail in UP's Khatauli
- Toilet: Ek Prem Katha collections—Akshay Kumar proves his mettle; film crosses Rs 100 cr
- Day after Spain terror attacks, three dead in Finland, Germany stabbing spree
- Doctor's attempt to inject hospital superintendent with HIV+ blood over personal grudge foiled
- PM Narendra Modi's austerity drive for ministers, asks them to avoid 5-star hotels, PSUs vehicles
- Ruckus after AIMIM corporators refuse to stand up for Vande Mataram in Maharashtra civic body
- WATCH: Lightning quick MS Dhoni produces yet another impressive stumping, sends Lasith Malinga packing
- Nitish Kumar-led JD(U) passes resolution to join NDA
- IND vs SL, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- Nitish-led JD(U) passes resolution to join NDA; Sharad Yadav to approach EC to stake claim over party symbol
- Painful menstrual cramps? Experts swear by these Yoga asanas to help you relieve your suffering!
- Air-conditioned jackets for the Indian Special Forces soon, says Manohar Parrirkar