In partial relief to firebrand Patel quota agitation spearhead Hardik Patel, the Gujarat High Court today dropped the treason charge against him for which death sentence is the maximum penalty but declined to quash the sedition charge that is punishable upto life term.
Ahead of a crucial meeting of Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti with the Chief Minister later in the day, Samiti's convenor Hardik Patel today met Keshubhai Patel and sought his blessings for the quota stir.
Hardik Patel today announced postponement till September 13 of the 'reverse Dandi yatra' over the Patel quota issue, which was scheduled to be taken out tomorrow.
The Gujarat High Court on Friday slammed the state police on the Patel quota violence saying they transgressed the law by committing atrocities on people and told the government that restoration of peace should be on high priority.
The Gujarat Government on Saturday signed MoUs with a Chinese enterprise in Beijing envisaging Rs 29,000 crore investments in the state.
Eight robbers allegedly kidnapped a newly-married woman after looting jewellery worth around Rs four lakh in Garbada taluka of the district on Saturday, police said.
Expelled Aam Aadmi Party leader Anand Kumar today slammed the party over the alleged suicide of Rajasthan-based farmer at Jantar Mantar rally in Delhi, saying he was an innocent man who was "sacrificed".
The Gujarat government admitted before the Assembly on Wednesday that despite spending over Rs 47,000 crore on the entire Narmada project, canals of more than 48,000 km are yet to be constructed.
Gujarat Vigilance Commission, an independent statutory body, received as many as 8,263 complaints in 2013.
The Gujarat High Court today refused to grant temporary bail to 2002 Naroda Patia riots case convict Babu Bajrangi, who sought one week's release for the treatment of his ailing son.
Police on Monday filed two First Information Reports following yesterday's attacks by rioting mobs on the policemen in the communally sensitive Shahpur area here.
The Bombay High Court Friday admitted two appeals challenging the acquittal of former 'encounter specialist' police officer Pradeep Sharma in a fake encounter case, and issued a bailable warrant against him.
Tattoo-making, which otherwise sees dull business here, has now emerged as the latest craze among the youth participating in the traditional dances during the ongoing Navratri festival.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Ahmedabad, a day before Chinese President Xi Jinping reaches Gujarat.
Over two lakh people in the city are facing a flood-like situation as the Vishwamitri river here has swelled due to incessant rains in catchment areas and inundated residential colonies in its vicinity.
India is all set to achieve self-reliance in testing of armoured vehicles, as Asia's first Ballistic Research Centre will soon be functioning at Gujarat Forensic Science University (GFSU) here.
The "elephant" was instrumental in trampling upon the "hand" in some dozen seats in the Gujarat polls which helped the "Lotus" reign supreme.
Gujarat police has been put on high alert following a communication from the Centre of a threat to Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s life from terror outfits, including a possible suicide attack.
“BJP is on a comeback trail”, is what the party`s senior leader LK Advani had to say at the news of BJP’s triumph in Gujarat. Giving credit to Modi’s development policies, he said that Modi has disapproved the theory that “elections can’t be won on development plank”. “People have voted for his leadership,” he said.
Central security agencies have warned of an assassination attempt on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi by terror groups like Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) and asked the state government to further tighten his security.
Hailing the BJP`s "spectacular" victory in Gujarat, its senior leader L K Advani today said the vote against "vilification" campaign by the Congress was a "turning point" for national politics, signalling the party`s "comeback" ahead of next general elections.
Narendra Modi has done it again. The BJP has won nearly 2/3rd majority with 117 seats, while the main opposition Congress has had to settle with around 60 in the 182-member assembly. Modi referred to the huge electoral success as a victory for the 5.5 crore people of Gujarat and a “positive mandate” that defeated the campaign of negativism. Modi will be sworn in as the Chief Minister for the third time on December 25.
Gujarat on Saturday waited with bated breath with counting of votes in the fiercely contested Assembly elections to be taken up tomorrow and the first result is expected to be out by 10 AM.
A day after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) suspended him for "anti-party activities", Gujarat parliamentarian Somabhai Patel on Saturday vowed to join the Congress.
A police complaint has been filed against BJP leader L K Advani by Election Commission officials for alleged breach of model code of conduct by talking to mediapersons outside a polling booth here during assembly elections, police officials said on Wednesday.
Narendra Modi-led BJP is poised to retain power in Gujarat but with a reduced majority losing some ground in Sunday`s second phase of polls in Northern and Central parts which was worst hit by 2002 communal riots, according to exit polls by four TV channels.
The second phase of assembly elections in Gujarat drew to a close on Sunday, with a voter turnout of 63-65%, informed the Election Commission in a media briefing. The fate of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as well as 598 other candidates, who contested on 95 seats, was sealed in the electronic voting machines.
Opposition Congress today claimed it will snatch power from the BJP by winning about 110 seats in the 182-seat assembly.
With Gujarat elections entering the last phase of voting, a win at Godhra -- the epicentre of the 2002 riots -- has become a prestige issue for both BJP and Congress.
Maninagar, a residential area in the not-so-affluent east Ahmedabad, will possibly decide who will rule Gujarat next. Pitted here in electoral battle are Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Union Minister Dinsha Patel.
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa still in coma
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Now, Pakistan too in the race to acquire Kohinoor diamond!
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part IV
- Essel Group's affordable housing scheme, ASHA launched in Panchkula
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part III
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- DNA: How soldiers are being trained for avalanche rescue
- Love jihad message being circulated on Whatsapp in Gujarat goes viral
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming
- Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, rescued from Siachen, battles for life; liver and kidney dysfunctional
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Katrina Kaif’s first dubsmash – You will love it!
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders