Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Tuesday announced a cash reward of Rs.25 lakh for teenaged cricketer Unmukt Chand who led the Indian team to victory in the final of U-19 cricket World Cup.
Putting the bitterness of the past behind, cricketer Unmukt Chand returned to his alma mater today to be cheered and felicitated by his peers and teachers, in what was a fitting homecoming.
India Under-19 skipper Unmukt Chand says that he is in no hurry to play for the Indian cricket team.
The India Under-19 skipper has shown nerves of steel and is the next batsman to watch out for from Delhi after Virat Kohli.
Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh today assured Sports Minister Ajay Maken that all possible help will be provided to India`s U-19 cricket captain Unmukt Chand, who has been denied admit card for annual examination due to low attendance.
Under-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand is hopeful that his attendance problem in St Stephen`s College will be sorted out amicably within the next few days.
In contrast to captain Unmukt Chand, who led India to their third U-19 World Cup win in Australia last Sunday but is facing problems of low attendance in his college, teammate Harmeet Singh is fortunate as his college here has recognised his feats and supported him.
His confident strides, the swagger at the crease bear striking similarities with another former India U-19 captain and Unmukt Chand readily agrees that Virat Kohli has been an inspiration for him.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal today requested St Stephens College Principal Walson Thampu to use his discretionary powers to ensure that junior cricketer Unmukt Chand, the captain of U-19 World Cup winning team, does not lose an academic year due to low attendance.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken today stood by India U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand, assuring to take up his case with the Delhi University and the St. Stephen`s College authorities.
India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni today came out in support of U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand, who has been denied to appear for the first year BA examinations by his college, St Stephens.
It is one thing to bask in the glory of a world cup winning performance and another to face the challenges and meet the expectations raised thereafter.
India has brought home the U-19 World Cup but this does not in any way guarantee a national berth for the young stars.
India`s triumphant under-19 World Cup captain Unmukt Chand today said his team`s interaction with senior batsman Sachin Tendulkar helped the side to regain the coveted title Down Under.
West Indies colts captain Kraigg Braithwaite says his team performed well despite its failure to capture the Under-19 world cup down under.
- 1962 Indo-China war memorial in Gurugram vandalised
- Watch: Nitish Kumar takes oath as Bihar CM
- Watch - Volcano like eruption from Bokaro coal mine due to excessive rain
- Egypt: Tank crushes car in attempt to stop bomb blast in North Sinai
- Cabinet reshuffle soon: JD(U) likely to get ministerial berths
- PM Modi hails Nitish for moving out of Bihar 'Mahagathbandhan'
- It's for Nitish Kumar to decide on allying with BJP: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Zee News remains number 1 Hindi channel for 29th week
- JD(U) chief said will die but not join BJP: Lalu Yadav
- Watch: Drums being used to warn people about floods in Gujarat
- Gujarat floods: Death toll reaches 83; PM announces Rs 500 crore aid
- Watch - The ten biggest international news of the day
- Dr Subhash Chandra raises cable licensing issue in Parliament
- Ghatkopar: Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 17
- Separatist leader Shabir Shah arrested for terror funding, to be presented before Delhi court today
- Lizard found in biryani served to passenger travelling in Poorva Express
- Nitish Kumar's swearing-in ceremony: As it happened
- WATCH: Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri burst into laughter with Ravindra Jadeja's dressing room act
- Pakistan cricketers set to get richer as PCB receives Rs 230 million from ICC as Champions Trophy prize money
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: How India evicted Pakistani intruders from the icy heights
- Nitish Kumar to resign? Bihar CM on way to meet Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi
- Indian daughters, Pakistani daughters-in-law always welcome: Sushma Swaraj's lovely tweet wins hearts
- Rift in JD(U) over aligning with BJP: Sharad Yadav not kept in loop by Nitish, say senior leaders
- 'Not a sign of healthy democracy': Mayawati on Nitish Kumar's JD(U) alliance with BJP
- India's Tour of Sri Lanka 2017: 1st Test, Day 2 — As it happened...
- Kapil Sharma Show: Sumona Chakravarti will NEVER work with Krushna Abhishek—Here's why
- Know how many times Nitish Kumar resigned from govt in past
- RBI stops printing of Rs 2000 note; accelerates production of Rs 200 notes – Know how it will affect you
- 4G speed on Jio network slowest in India; Airtel has the fastest: OpenSignal
- French lawmakers approve law banning nepotism