Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Tuesday announced a cash reward of Rs.25 lakh for teenaged cricketer Unmukt Chand who led the Indian team to victory in the final of U-19 cricket World Cup.
Putting the bitterness of the past behind, cricketer Unmukt Chand returned to his alma mater today to be cheered and felicitated by his peers and teachers, in what was a fitting homecoming.
India Under-19 skipper Unmukt Chand says that he is in no hurry to play for the Indian cricket team.
The India Under-19 skipper has shown nerves of steel and is the next batsman to watch out for from Delhi after Virat Kohli.
Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh today assured Sports Minister Ajay Maken that all possible help will be provided to India`s U-19 cricket captain Unmukt Chand, who has been denied admit card for annual examination due to low attendance.
Under-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand is hopeful that his attendance problem in St Stephen`s College will be sorted out amicably within the next few days.
In contrast to captain Unmukt Chand, who led India to their third U-19 World Cup win in Australia last Sunday but is facing problems of low attendance in his college, teammate Harmeet Singh is fortunate as his college here has recognised his feats and supported him.
His confident strides, the swagger at the crease bear striking similarities with another former India U-19 captain and Unmukt Chand readily agrees that Virat Kohli has been an inspiration for him.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal today requested St Stephens College Principal Walson Thampu to use his discretionary powers to ensure that junior cricketer Unmukt Chand, the captain of U-19 World Cup winning team, does not lose an academic year due to low attendance.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken today stood by India U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand, assuring to take up his case with the Delhi University and the St. Stephen`s College authorities.
India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni today came out in support of U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand, who has been denied to appear for the first year BA examinations by his college, St Stephens.
It is one thing to bask in the glory of a world cup winning performance and another to face the challenges and meet the expectations raised thereafter.
India has brought home the U-19 World Cup but this does not in any way guarantee a national berth for the young stars.
India`s triumphant under-19 World Cup captain Unmukt Chand today said his team`s interaction with senior batsman Sachin Tendulkar helped the side to regain the coveted title Down Under.
West Indies colts captain Kraigg Braithwaite says his team performed well despite its failure to capture the Under-19 world cup down under.
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- DNA: Today in history, 24 February, 2017
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Delighted to be a part of Maha Shivratri celebrations: PM Modi in Coimbatore
- DNA: Why Farooq Abdullah is having so much love towards anti-nationals?
- ABVP, SFI activists clash in Pune University; many injured
- DNA: Seven Earth-like planets found around a single star
- DNA: Nonstop News
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to identify job opportunities in small cities?
- DNA: Today in history, 25th February, 2017
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!
- Watch: Ravindra Jadeja teases Aussie captain Steve Smith with hilarious impersonation
- Gujarat ATS arrests two 'ISIS terrorists' from Rajkot, Bhavnagar; they were planning bomb blast in Chotila Mandir
- Delhi twins drown in washing machine after mother left them playing as she stepped out briefly
- We win some and lose some, Sachin Tendulkar backs India to give Australia a strong reply in Bengaluru
- Kanpur train derailment: PM Narendra Modi hints at Pakistan hand
- WATCH: Virat Kohli 'clean bowled' after being deceived by Australian talisman Steve O'Keefe
- India vs Australia, 1st Test: Anil Kumble defends team, says it was just one bad day in office