Intelligence Quotient

52 genes that make us intelligent uncovered

52 genes that make us intelligent uncovered

Despite high heritability estimates of 45 per cent in childhood and 80 per cent in adulthood, only a handful of genes had previously been associated with intelligence and for most of these genes the findings were not reliable, researchers said.

May 24, 2017, 00:17 AM IST
Smoking marijuana in teens may affect verbal IQ

Smoking marijuana in teens may affect verbal IQ

 Conversely, the early users also had good verbal skills and vocabulary.

Jan 27, 2017, 00:12 AM IST

Early use of weed may lower IQ, affect brain function

Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal substance in the world. 

Oct 06, 2016, 14:01 PM IST
Why some people are more intelligent than others

Why some people are more intelligent than others

In a bid to unlock the secrets of the human brain, a team of researchers led by the University of Warwick quantified the brain's dynamic functions!

Jul 19, 2016, 19:23 PM IST
Take a test: How intelligent are you?

Take a test: How intelligent are you?

Measuring one's intelligence quotient through knowledge-based tests has become a common phenomenon nowadays.  

Jan 11, 2016, 12:41 PM IST

Premature toddlers can offer clues to their future IQ

The intelligence quotient (IQ) of adults born very prematurely or with very low birth weight can be predicted when they are just toddlers.

Aug 13, 2015, 13:27 PM IST

Infections can also affect your IQ

In addition to harming your physical heath, severe infections of any type can affect your mental capacity as measured on an intelligence quotient (IQ) scale, a new research has found.

May 22, 2015, 13:41 PM IST
Air pollution and poverty lower child's IQ

Air pollution and poverty lower child's IQ

Material hardship can increase the adverse affects of physical "stressors" like air pollutants as researchers have found that the toxic combination of air pollution and poverty could lower the intelligence quotient (IQ) of your kid.

Apr 30, 2015, 11:59 AM IST

Marijuana use shrinks teenagers` brains: Experts

Frequent marijuana use among teenagers can lead to cognitive decline, poor attention and memory and decreased intelligence quotient (IQ), psychologists warn.

Aug 11, 2014, 12:53 PM IST

Sidharth Malhotra has low vegetable IQ

Sidharth Malhotra recently turned into a vegetable vendor for a TV show and although he convincingly did his job, it was later found that he needs to brush up his knowledge about vegetables.

Jun 26, 2014, 14:33 PM IST

Leading with heart

While domain expertise and analytical thinking are important in any role, emotional competence is critical to good leadership, says Suresh Raina.

Mar 12, 2014, 13:50 PM IST

Faster growing babies have higher IQ: Study

Newborn babies who grow faster in the first four weeks are likely to have a higher IQ later in life, a new study has found.

Jun 19, 2013, 17:01 PM IST

Iodine deficiency during pregnancy may lead to lower IQ among kids

Researchers have claimed that mild iodine deficiency during pregnancy could be dimming the intellect of some babies born in the UK.

May 22, 2013, 11:02 AM IST

Complaint against Gadkari, Sitharaman over Vivekanand remarks

A complaint was filed in a court against Nitin Gadkari over his statement equating the IQ of Swami Vivekanand with that of Dawood Ibrahim.

Nov 07, 2012, 23:14 PM IST

Genes responsible for 40% of lifetime intelligence

We inherit 40% of our lifetime intelligence while the environment we grow up in impacts the rest 60%, researchers say.

Jan 22, 2012, 20:33 PM IST

Dieting in pregnancy can lower baby`s IQ

Women may be risking a low IQ for their unborn babies by dieting during pregnancy.

Jan 18, 2011, 17:03 PM IST

Dieting in pregnancy can lower baby`s IQ

Women may be risking a low IQ for their unborn babies by dieting during pregnancy.

Jan 18, 2011, 00:00 AM IST

Women`s brains grow after giving birth

Having a baby may make a woman more intelligent, show a research.

Oct 21, 2010, 12:58 PM IST

Women`s brains grow after giving birth

Having a baby may make a woman more intelligent, show a research.

Oct 21, 2010, 00:00 AM IST