The 12-member-strong Mizoram
Council of Ministers were allocated portfolios with Chief
Minister Lal Thanhawla keeping Finance, Public Works, Power
The 12-member-strong Mizoram
Sixty-six-year-old rebel turned
politician Lalthanhawla, the sixth Chief Minister of Mizoram,
has set a record becoming the only one from the state to be in
saddle for a fourth time.
Known for his adroitness in
politics, militant turned politician, Lal Thanhawla joined the
underground Mizo National Front (MNF) in 1966 after a brief
stint in government service.
Lal Thanhawla, who steered the
Congress back to power in Mizoram in a landslide win after a
gap of ten years, was on Wednesday elected as the legislature party
Senior Congress leader Lal
Thanhawla is all set to be the next Chief Minister of the tiny
state as his party has stormed into power in Mizoram after a
Riding on an anti-incumbency wave, Congress on Monday stormed back to power in the north-eastern hilly state of Mizoram securing an absolute majority in the 40-member State Assembly.
Describing the results of the Assembly elections as an "upswing" for itself, the Congress on Monday termed them a major victory.
With the arrival of polling parties of eight districts to their headquarters on Thursday, the poll percentage of December 02 polling in Mizoram rose from 72 percent to 78.78 percent.
An electorate of 6,11,124 voters will decide the fate of 205 candidates in the elections to the 40-member Mizoram Assembly on Tuesday as security has been beefed up along the state`s sensitive border with Manipur.
Campaigning for election to the
40-member Mizoram Assembly ended on Sunday, setting the stage for
polling on Tuesday when around 6,11,124 people will cast their
Contesting from two prestigious seats of Serchhip and South Tuipui in Mizoram, state Pradesh Congress Committee President Lalthanhawla sounded hopeful of turning the tables on his political opponents.
About 8,000 Reang tribal refugees, sheltered in camps in neighbouring Tripura, would cast their votes in Mizoram Assembly Elections next week through postal ballots, officials said on Sunday.
on Friday said the potential of all sections of the people in
Mizoram would be harnessed if the Congress is voted to power in the forthcoming assembly
Chief Minister Zoramthanga and
former chief minister and state PCC chief Lal Thanhawla have
come out as two of the richest candidates in coming Mizoram
As many as 205 candidates are in the fray for the December 02 election to the 40-member Mizoram Assembly as the last date of withdrawal of nominations was ended on Saturday, official sources said.
With 20 days to go for the
Mizoram Assembly elections, its borders with neighbouring
states and Myanmar and Bangladesh were sealed on Thursday.
Text messages on mobile phones are the most popular mode of seeking votes in Mizoram, which goes to the polls early next month to elect a new state assembly.
With Mizoram Chief Minister
Zoramthanga filing nomination papers on Tuesday, all the three
chief ministerial candidates have filed nomination papers for
the coming assembly election in the state.
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Lesser people died in communal violence this year than in 2014: MHA
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark- Part 2
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Exclusive sneak peek into Russia's high-tech war room!
- DNA: Reality check on how Muslims are treated around the world
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- DNA: 12 years on, Nadimarg Kashmiri Pandits massacre still rankles
- India is a great country but it has a lot to learn from Singapore: PM Modi
- Why did Aamir Khan talk about 'intolerance' before Parliament Session?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Salman Khan rules 2015 Bollywood Box Office – here’s why
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics
- Hindi version of Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ nears Rs 200 crore mark in India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- 3rd Test: India vs South Africa - Preview
- Swaragini: Swara kidnaps Ragini for ruining her image?
- BJP slams Aamir Khan, says no other country better than India for Muslims
- Isolated incidents can’t be taken as sign of intolerance, tweets Ram Gopal Varma