An Egyptian court on Saturday upheld death sentences against 21 convicts of last year`s deadly soccer riot that killed 74 people, and acquitted 28 others, sparking off widespread violence that claimed at least two lives.
Egyptian army today took control of the Port Said Security Directorate, the police headquarters, to calm tensions in the Suez Canal city, as clashes between protesters and security forces intensified ahead of a court verdict on the deadly 2012 football riots.
Egyptian Army took control of the Port Said Security Directorate, the police headquarters, to calm tensions in the Suez Canal city, as clashes between protesters and security forces intensified ahead of a court verdict.
Thousands of Egyptians of the restive Suez Canal city of Port Said rallied on Monday in a funeral procession for civilians killed during street battles with police, as the military deployed soldiers to secure the gathering.
A third day of protests and strikes brought the restive city of Port Said to a halt today, as residents demanded security officials be held accountable for the killings of nearly 50 people in riots last month.
One person was shot dead and 18 injured in clashes between security forces and angry soccer fans in Egypt`s Port Said after their club al-Masry was banned for two seasons following the country`s worst stadium disaster, a medical source said.
Prosecutors ordered 75 people to stand trial for causing Egypt`s worst soccer stadium disaster, including the head of security in Port Said city where lax policing was blamed for a stampede that killed 74 fans.
Seventy-four people were killed and at least 1,000 injured on Wednesday when Egyptian football fans staged a pitch invasion in the city of Port Said, the deadliest incident since the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak from power.