New Delhi: Now people will be able to make payments by simply using their Aadhaar cards. The Government is initiating Aadhaar number-enabled financial transactions through smart phones to move the country into a cashless economy.
People can link their Aadhar with their bank accounts and use Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS) for funds transfer, balance enquiry, cash deposits or withdrawals and inter-banking transactions.
And the biometric authentication capacity of AEPS is 10 crore, which will be eventually raised to 40 crore.
Here is how you can make payment using Aadhaar cards:
- First, cardholders will have to enter their Aadhaar ID number and go through a fingerprint or iris scanner verification for electronic transaction.
- Merchant or shopkeeper will have a smartphone with a finger print scanner connected to it via an application.
- Place the finger on that scanner to pay using Aadhaar.
- The bank , which is already linked to the customer’s Aadhaar number will be debited with the amount to pay to the shopkeeper.
- The money is directly transferred from the customer’s bank account to the merchant’s.