5.9 magnitude earthquake strikes Andaman & Nicobar islands
Port Blair: An earthquake measuring 5.9 on Richter Scale hit Nicobar Islands Region around 08:21 am on Tuesday.
No injury or damage reported.
"The earthquake was experienced at 8.21 am," said the India Meteorological Department (IMD) official.
According to the IMD, the earthquake, termed moderate, occurred at a point 6.4 degrees north latitude and 92.2 degrees east longitude in Nicobar Islands.
However, it was not so powerful as to merit a tsunami warning. India has a dedicated tsunami warning centre that sends alerts to states and neighbouring littoral countries in case of an earthquake.
Another earthquake measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale jolted Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir at 5:48 AM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why