Sydney: A veterinarian in Australia had to perform surgery on a python to remove a slipper it had swallowed. The incident happened when a snake catcher in Mount Ommaney brought a python to HerpVet. It is the reptile department within the Greencross Jindalee Veterinary Clinic.
Following is what HerpVet wrote on its Facebook post:
"You can’t make this stuff up folks. This wild, coastal carpet python, was brought into the clinic by a local snake catcher after it was found in a home having ingested a slipper. This made for one of the most impressive radiographs I have seen. Surgery was performed under general anaesthetic to remove the foreign object, with a procedure called a coeliotomy and gastrotomy. After removal of the slipper through the stomach was closed in two layers, the body wall muscle was closed and surgical staples were used for the skin (an 18 cm incision). The snake was given fluids, anti-inflammatories and painkillers. He woke up well and is off to for rehabilitation in a couple of days. If we get to 1000 likes for this post, I will post a video of the removal so share widely."
In another post, HerpVet wrote, "Well that happened very quickly. We have reached 1000 likes on the last post (and just did an interview in the process). As promised here is the video. The video shows the shoe coming out of the stomach with minimal effort. Care was taken to minimise the risk of spillage and contamination of the surgical field and new gloves and instruments were used for closure."
The video of the surgery then was the posted on the page.