The Centre on Tuesday rushed 600 additional paramilitary personnel to Darjeeling to assist the administration in restoring normalcy.
West Bengal News
The GJM chief slammed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for calling in the Army to control the situation in Darjeeling.
The porous riverine border with Bangladesh at Sunderbans are shortly to be equipped with infra-ray pillars and smart sensors.
Six columns of army have been deployed in Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong towns since Thursday, officials said.
The hills are famous for the Darjeeling tea whose production is jealously guarded. It is also famed for its "toy train" -- a 78-kilometer uphill ride from New Jalpaiguri.
West Bengal Chief Minister on Mamata Banerjee on Monday asserted she will not be intimidated with Gorkha Janmukti Morcha`s (GJM) "threats" and claimed it will run away after spurring episodes of violence.
West Bengal Power Minister Sovandeb Chatterjee on Monday dubbed the indefinite strike called by Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) as `suicidal`, saying that latter was spoiling the life of Darjeeling people for `political gain.
Monsoon entered some parts of sub-Himalayan West Bengal (including Darjeeling) and Sikkim on Monday.
Eight suspected Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists were detained for indulging in arson as a GJM-sponsored month-long shutdown of government offices began on Monday.
"I was raped around 3 a.m. yesterday in front of my nine-year-old daughter. I was physically assaulted along with my daughter," the victim said.
Life returned to normal in the northern West Bengal hills with no violence reported so far on Sunday, but uncertainty prevails as the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) called an indefinite shutdown from Monday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her government would declare the proposed tea plantation workers` strike as illegal.
The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha on Saturday called an indefinite shutdown in the northern West Bengal hills from Monday in support of its demand for a separate Gorkhaland state.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief Bimal Gurung on Saturday requested West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee not to do or promote 'divisive' politics in the state.
Senior Trianmool Congress leader Iqbal Ahmed on Saturday did not appear before the CBI for questioning in Narada case citing 'ill-health'.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who was already in Darjeeling on Thursday, had stayed back after trouble broke out and supervised the entire operations.
The directive came soon after yesterday's clash between the GJM and the police in Darjeeling, according to a senior official at the state secretariat.
Coming down heavily on the Bimal Gurung-led Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday warned the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) supporters of stern action even as the Left Front has demanded an all-party meet on the hill issue.
The Army today staged a flag march in Kalimpong, Darjeeling, and Kurseong.
On Thursday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee held her cabinet meeting in Darjeeling - the first time in 45 years that the state cabinet had met in the hill district.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee asked the Narendra Modi-led central government to deploy Indian Army in Darjeeling after a massive protest broke out in the state city on Thursday.
Ahmed, who is also the younger brother of TMC MP Sultan Ahmed, has been summoned for questioning on June 10.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha chief Bimal Gurung, who was chastised by Mamata Banerjee recently for pursuing divisive politics in the Darjeeling hills, today hit back, saying the TMC was trying to 'dilute' real issues affecting the hills and threatened to revive Gorkhaland movement.
West Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh on Wednesday accused the TMC government in the state of "step motherly" attitude towards GJM as it is has an alliance with BJP in the hills.
The Income Tax authorities have sent the party a notice, demanding an explanation for the splurge, to which the TMC has sought extension.
Eschewing political association in student body elections, a model followed by the city's premier St. Xavier's College, the West Bengal government will roll out a new "apolitical" system this year for student union elections.
Hundreds of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) supporters led by party chief Bimal Gurung waved black flags and burnt effigy of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee as they brought out a protest rally in Darjeeling district demanding the state government come up with a written circular about not making Bengali compulsory in the hills.
Apart from the fake syrup bottles, we have seized multiple jars of liquid syrup and labels of renowned pharmaceutical companies from the car.
West Bengal on Tuesday sought participation of boat manufacturers from different states in its bid to replace or upgrade nearly 15,000 semi-mechanised ferries plying in the state's waterways.
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Narendra Modi conveys his wishes to the nation on Eid
- Modi in US: Talks on terror, H1B visa top priority in Modi-Trump meet
- Trump-Modi first meeting updates live on Zee News
- No country questioned India's surgical strikes, says PM Modi in US
- Modi in US: Donald Trump realises highly competent Indians necessary for US companies
- Oil tanker explodes in Pakistan's Bahawalpur district, many killed
- J&K: Pakistan violates ceasefire in Naushera sector
- PM Modi lands in Washington DC for his 2-day US tour
- PM Narendra Modi addresses media at White House's Rose Garden - Watch
- Heavy rains in Mumbai trigger warnings of high tide
- PM Modi - President Trump meeting at White House: Ten big things
- Watch: 140th Jagannath Rath Yatra begins in Ahmedabad
- Jolt to Pakistan: US declares Hizbul Chief Syed Salahuddin a global terrorist
- Experts view on PM Narendra Modi's US visit
- Eid being celebrated across the country today
- Rajdhani, Shatabdi trains set for a big makeover from October this year
- Chinese troops enter India in Sikkim sector, scuffle with Army jawans, destroy Indian bunkers
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Kiku Sharda welcomes Chandan Prabhakar back with a heartfelt message!
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath greets people on Eid-ul-Fitr
- Presidential election: Sushma Swaraj tweets 2013 Lok Sabha video, says 'This is how Meira Kumar treated Leader of Opposition'
- WATCH: Kuldeep Yadav outfoxes Jason Holder, MS Dhoni does the rest to send West Indies skipper packing
- WATCH: Smriti Mandhana scores blistering 72-ball 90 in India's World Cup opener against England
- Kerala Sabarimala temple's gold-coated flag damaged; three held
- Narendra Modi-Donald Trump meet - As it happened
- WATCH: Virat Kohli simulates MS Dhoni's 'Helicopter shot' for a six during 2nd ODI against West Indies
- After Eid prayers, clashes break out between security forces, stone pelters in Kashmir Valley; 10 protesters injured
- Hacking group believes NASA will announce discovery of aliens
- India's tour of West Indies: Skipper Virat Kohli hints at Rishabh Pant's inclusion for third ODI
- Haryana govt has disbursed Rs 2,400 cr compensation to farmers: CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Aadhaar not valid for travel to Nepal, Bhutan: Home Ministry