Spurious liquor claims five lives in West Bengal
Baruipur: Five persons have died and several others admitted to hospital over the last three days after they consumed spurious liquor in West Bengal's South 24 Parganas district, a police officer said on Tuesday.
Unofficial sources however, put the death toll at 11.
The incident occured at Gholabazar here, the officer said.
The manufacturer of the spurious liquor was also among the dead, Superintendent of Police, Baruipur Police District, Arijit Sinha said.
People were taken ill soon after consuming the hooch on Sunday night and rushed to various hospitals where the deaths occured, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users