The West Bengal government for the first time has come up with special passes for tourists to enable them to visit all Durga Puja pandals in and around the city. The state tourism department has issued the 'Sharodotsav 2017 special guest passes' for the Pujas and the Red Road carnival on October three, a tourism department official said.
West Bengal News
She claimed she had information that "some outsiders" had "already booked train tickets" for West Bengal with intentions to foment trouble.
The West Bengal government will move the Supreme Court on Friday to challenge the Calcutta High Court on immersion of Durga idols.
BJP general secretary Kailash Vijarvargiya, who is in charge of the party's affairs in the state, said the Trinamool Congress government had no right to remain in power after the court's order.
West Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh on Thursday ridiculed Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's remarks on the Rohingya people and alleged that the Trinamool Congress (TMC) was trying to turn the state into a "safe haven for terrorists and jihadis" for vote bank politics.
Calcutta HC on Thursday allowed immersion of Durga idols on all days from Vijayadashami on September 30, including on Muharram in West Bengal.
Ananya Chakraborty, Chairperson of the rights panel, said the plea has been accepted in the apex court registry and would be heard on the date already fixed.
The Calcutta HC struck down the Mamata Banerjee government's decision to prohibit the 'visarjan' ceremony for a 24-hour period on Muharram.
The West Bengal Commission for Protection of Child Rights (WBCPCR) on Wednesday filed a writ petition in the Supreme Court against the central government's stand on the deportation of Rohingya refugees to Myanmar.
A small GJM delegation on Tuesday met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi and raised the issue of Gorkhaland and the need for a "tripartite dialogue" to resolve the long-pending demands of the Gorkhas.
A case has been registered against two men under sections 363 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 366A (procuration of a minor girl) of the IPC.
Mamata government has told the court that it has allowed immersion of Durga idols on Vijaya Dashami day till 10 pm to ensure law and order.
A man was killed and his friend critically injured on Tuesday after a train hit them while taking a selfie near a railway crossing in Kalyani in Nadia district, a GRP official said.
Expressing solidarity with Rohingya Muslims of Myanmar, Shia cleric Maulana Shabbir Ali Azad Warsi threatened to overthrow the central government over their deportation.
People across West Bengal observed on Tuesday the auspicious occasion of Mahalaya, which heralds in Durga Puja.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had on September 4 asked the departments to return the funds they had failed to utilise so that the government could utilise it for other development purpose.
North Kolkata's Kashi Bose Lane Durga Puja Committee has reportedly themed its puja on 'How music resonates in our lives and surroundings'.
According to police, the girl's classmates on Saturday found blood oozing from her arm and told the school authorities about it.
The STF of the Kolkata Police has arrested Burhan Sheikh, the absconding suspect in the Khagragarh blast case, from a hideout in the central parts of the city.
Superintendent of police P Sudhakar said Tushar Kanti Das of BSF 64 Battalion had spotted the minitruck at Gaighata in the morning and had given it a chase on a cycle along with a local.
A minor fire broke out near a boarding gate at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport on Thursday.
The explosion happened at the Teen Kapati Pool under the jurisdiction of Manikpur police station yesterday evening when Ali was closing the shop, the officer said.
Banerjee's expulsion from the party points towards a deepening feud between the Sitaram Yechury camp and the Prakash Karat camps
While authorities are taking every step to save children from falling pray to dangerous online game Blue Whale, a college student in Burdwan district of West Bengal has become its latest victim.
The CBI on Wednesday interrogated Trinamool Congress leader and former West Bengal minister Madan Mitra in connection with the Narada tapes scam.
The Russian Centre of Culture called the first such all-faith meeting here at Gorky Sadan yesterday.
BJP president Amit Shah on Wednesday had lunch at the house of a BJP worker in north Kolkata's Cossipore.
Several people were killed, many injured and their property destroyed, Amit Shah alleged, targeting the Mamata Banerjee-led government in the state.
West Bengal Tourism Minister Goutam Deb on Monday said: "We are hopeful of resolving the deadlock. People of Darjeeling do not want strike."
- B'desh PM Sheikh Hasina slams Pak in UN for 1971 atrocities
- India replies strongly to Pak PM in UN, terms Pakistan as 'Terroristan'
- Cornered Pakistan plays Kashmir-card again at UN
- How much has PM Modi's constituency Varanasi developed after 2014 polls?
- Honeypreet's husband Vishwas Gupta addresses a press conference - Watch
- Myanmar reaches out to Rohingyas, encourages them to start moving back home
- Two terrorists involved in attack on SSB convoy arrested in Banihal
- Governance is not about votes, nation comes first: PM Modi
- PM Modi flags off Mahamana Express from Varanasi
- Modi in Varanasi: PM inaugurates Deendayal Hastkala Sankul
- 101-year-old becomes fastest female centenarian in the world
- North Korea threatens H-bomb detonation in Pacific
- One accused arrested in Muzaffarnagar gang rape case
- A look at Reliance Jio phone features
- Development biggest agenda on PM Modi's two-day visit to Varanasi
- China's snub to Pakistan at UN: Won't meddle in Kashmir, solve it with India
- Meet Nirvaan, India's smallest and youngest baby born after 22 weeks
- IRCTC blocks debit card payment gateway for several banks
- Toddler dies half an hour after allegedly being administered polio drops in Ludhiana
- Golmaal Again: Ajay Devgn - Rohit Shetty’s funny team is back to tickle your funny bone – Watch trailer
- Watch: Smiling Virat Kohli shows Aussies sledging is not good
- Virat Kohli plays 10 times better when he fights with people: Stuart Clark warns Australia
- Ranbir is a bachelor, can meet anybody: Rishi Kapoor on son's leaked pics with Mahira Khan
- The trailer of 'Amazon Obhijaan' is exhilarating – Watch
- It is now 'terroristan': India hits back at Pakistan at UN
- Sensex nosedives 448 points, Nifty under 10K-mark amid global sell-off
- Mahira Khan slammed by haters for viral pictures with Ranbir Kapoor
- West Bengal govt to move Supreme Court against Calcutta HC's order on Durga idol immersion
- Rahul Gandhi describes Mahatma Gandhi as an NRI, says Congress movement was an NRI movement
- Watch: When Kuldeep Yadav took his first hat-trick in India colours three years ago