Congress MLA Manas Bhunia, who had switched to TMC last year from Congress, has resigned from his MLA post to contest the upcoming Rajya Sabha elections as a Trinamool Congress candidate.
West Bengal News
Heavy rain and high tide battered this eastern metropolis and some districts of West Bengal, resulting in a flood-like situation across large swathes of land, officials said on Monday.
The CBI on Monday sought an arrest warrant against the GJM president Bimal Gurung, his wife Asha and 20 others in connection with the Madan Tamang murder case.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday an arrest warrant against Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) president Bimal Gurung, his wife Asha and 20 others before a city court in connection with the Madan Tamang murder case.
In the next two years, our aim is to bring every child into the education system and we plan to make it a community movement.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Roopa Ganguly, who has been issued a notice in connection with a child trafficking case, has maintained her stand that she is innocent and that the West Bengal Government is hell-bent on denting her reputation.
At least 1,162 state police personnel, including RAF and four companies of Central Armed Police Force (CAPF), were deployed in the sub-division, which was hit by communal clashes in the first week of July.
The north Bengal hill town has been witnessing an indefinite agitation for a separate state of Gorkhaland for over a month.
A 21-year-old pregnant woman was raped allegedly by the owner of an ultrasonography centre Bankura district, police said on Thursday.
Fire broke out on the third floor of a multi-storied building which houses mostly offices in the southern part of the city's Pretoria Street this afternoon, police said.
A Hindu family at a remote village in West Bengal's Nadia district had no money to take the body of their father to the crematorium for the last rites but their Muslim neighbours came to their help.
A century-old community hall and a TMC party office in the Darjeeling hills were set ablaze by pro-Gorkhaland supporters, police said today as the indefinite shutdown for a separate state entered its 35th day.
Kolkata Metro will get 40 new air-conditioned rakes, the first of which has been delivered to the public carrier, Metro Railway sources said here.
The situation in Mirik continued to be tense following the death of a Gorkhaland activist allegedly in police firing.
He also defended BJP leader Roopa Ganguly over her controversial statement on women safety, saying she was referring to the "poor" law and order situation in West Bengal.
The BJP on Tuesday staged a protest against the "continued attack on women of a particular religious community" in West Bengal.
The Sikkim government has moved the Supreme Court on July 13 seeking a direction to the Centre and West Bengal government that NH-10, be protected and uninterrupted vehicular movement be ensured in the wake of ongoing agitation for separate Gorkhaland state.
"A total of 314 kg of ganja, worth approximately Rs 35 lakh, was seized from a pick-up truck from South Kolkata's Taratala Road on Tuesday morning," the NCB official said.
Breaking the stereotypes, she took office as Bengal's first transgender judge of a Lok Adalat on July 8. Once again, she proved by setting an instance that her marginalised community is no way lagging behind.
The hair will be supplied to clay modeller hubs in the city and in different parts of the state including Kumartuli.
Following the complaint, police have filed a case of murder against the husband and three of his family members.
Major fire broke out in five Indian Oil Corporation tankers at IOCL Depot. The incident took place in West Bengal's Siliguri.
A man was allegedly denied entering Kolkata's Quest Mall for wearing a 'dhoti' on Saturday.
Earlier in the day, Ganguly said if women are able to survive in Bengal for 15 days without getting raped, then she would take back her statement.
Roopa Ganguly was speaking at an event called 'Save Bengal' when she made this remark.
ADG (Law and Order) Anuj Sharma said this while submitting an affidavit on the ongoing Darjeeling unrest in the Calcutta High Court.
West Bengal Class 12 topper Archisman Panigrahi is in a unique predicament, his name tops the Jadavpur University merit list in four subjects without him ever applying to the varsity.
"He was interrogated today (Thursday) as part of the Narada sting probe," the ED official said.
Violence erupted between two communities at Baduria on the night of July 3 over a Facebook post by a youth.
- Minor gives birth in school, accuses auto driver of rape
- Monsoon in India: Scores killed in floods, landslides
- Easy to stir mountain but not our army: China's threat to India on Doklam standoff
- JNU V-C wants tank on campus to remind students of Army’s sacrifices
- Operation All-Out: 111 terrorists killed so far in Kashmir by Indian Army
- Security forces kill one terrorist in J&K's Machel Sector
- Watch: President Pranab Mukherjee's farewell address to nation
- Nithari killings: Koli, Pandher get death sentence for murder of Pinki Sarkar
- Delhi: Overspeeding car kills 25-year-old at ITO
- DNA: Analysis of 'terror funding' by Hurriyat leaders
- Pune: NDA Cadet found hanging in his room
- DNA: All you need to know about the President's Bodyguard
- Hooligans and police clash in Jewar, Greater Noida; 4 arrested, 2 absconding
- Aapki News: 19-year-old Delhi girl helps capture mobile-snatchers
- DNA: Today In History, July 24, 2017
- Former ISRO Chief UR Rao, man behind India's 1st satellite Aryabhatta, dies
- After Sonu Nigam, singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi tweets about Azaan and loudspeakers
- ICC Women's World Cup Final: England vs India - As it happened...
- Saliva analysis turns up evidence of 'ghost' ancient human species!
- DSP Ayub Pandith lynching: Main accused killed in encounter, 20 other arrested, informs IG Kashmir
- Ram Nath Kovind all set to swear-in as 14th President of India: Here's the list of guests and ceremony details
- Indian workers emigrating to 6 Gulf nations declines by 34.6%, remittances fall
- Two Jordanians die in shooting at Israeli embassy in Amman: Security source
- Mumbai: Woman biker crushed to death while avoiding a pothole, probe ordered
- Dhinchak Pooja's new song 'Baapu Dede Thoda Cash' is so bad that it's actually good! - Watch
- Sanjay Manjrekar criticises Mithali Raj and co for Women's World Cup final defeat, faces heat on Twitter
- After demitting Rashtrapati Bhavan, Pranab Mukherjee to occupy heritage bungalow in Lutyens’ Delhi
- Terror funding in Kashmir: Son-in-law of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, 6 other separatist leaders arrested by NIA
- Birth certificate no longer mandatory for passport; PAN card, Aadhaar, driving license will suffice
- Taliban suicide car bomber kills at least 35 in Afghanistan's Kabul