Myanmar investigators question Rohingya in Bangladesh camps
Dhaka: An investigating team formed by Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi visited two makeshift camps in southern Bangladesh today and questioned some of the thousands of Rohingya Muslims who have fled from Myanmar, alleging mistreatment by soldiers and majority Buddhists.
The Rohingya refused to show their faces to the 10 visiting investigators, fearing reprisals when they return home, Bangladesh district administrator Imrul Kayes said.
He said the men and women talked from behind a curtain and gave accounts of horrors they faced, including the raping of women, killing of children and burning of villages.
About 35 people described their experiences to the investigators in Cox's Bazar district, he said. The investigators did not speak to the media.
About 90,000 Rohingya Muslims have crossed the border from Myanmar into neighboring Bangladesh.
Myanmar's army launched counterinsurgency operations in Rohingya areas in northern Rakhine state last October after the killing of nine border guards.
UN human rights investigators and independent rights organizations charge that soldiers and police killed and raped civilians and burned down more than 1,000 homes during their operations.
Myanmar's government has rejected the allegations, but promised to investigate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO