Moscow: At least 74 persons have died of methanol poisoning in Russia's Siberia after they consumed a bathing lotion containing alcohol earlier this month, authorities said on Wednesday.
"The bodies have been investigated. They died of methanol," Xinhua news agency quoted Tatyana Shkurskaya, a Health Ministry spokeswoman, as saying.
On December 17, a total of 120 people suffered from methanol poisoning, and 48 of them died within two days. Eleven of the affected persons still remain in hospital.
Investigators have opened a criminal case on the manufacture, storage and sale of the product, which they said does not meet safety requirements.