Turkish protesters denounce alleged coup plotters at court
Istanbul: Protesters gathered outside a courthouse in Ankara on Monday, denouncing 18 alleged conspirators in a coup attempt in Turkey who are on trial for the killing of a military officer who had resisted the effort to overthrow the government.
The demonstrators also condemned Fethullah Gulen, an Islamic cleric based in Pennsylvania who is blamed by Turkey for the failed coup attempt. Gulen denies involvement.
The suspects are accused of involvement in the shooting of Omer Halisdemir, an officer who was killed after he shot dead a renegade military commander who was trying to take over the special forces headquarters during the July 15 uprising.
The trial of the defendants began in February. They face life imprisonment if convicted of murder and other crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what