Kolkata,Friday, June 07, 2002: Cricket Board has turned down the plea of six leading Indian players to visit South Africa for shooting a commercial before the team's departure to England on June 18.
The cricketers - Rahul Dravid, Javagal Srinath, Anil Kumble, Ajay Ratra, Harbhajan Singh and Virender Sehwag - had sought the Board's green signal to shoot for a high-profile South Korea-based company in South Africa soon after returning from the Caribbean tour which ended earlier this month.
Confirming this, BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya told PTI here today that the Board 'advised' the players to cancel the trip. "We advised them not to go ahead with their programme as the gap between the two gruelling series in West Indies and England was too short."
Dalmiya said the players acceded to the Board's advice and decided not to leave for South Africa.
"We felt instead of going to another continent for personal reasons they should use this period to take a much- needed break from the game. In today's packed cricketing schedule, rest is very vital for players to keep themslves in pick fitness," he said.