New Delhi: The contentious Triple Talaq Bill seeking to criminalise the practice of instant divorce among Muslims is set to be tabled in the Rajya Sabha on Monday, even as the main opposition party Congress has said that it will not allow its passage in the present form. The ruling BJP has issued a whip in the Upper House asking its members to be present. Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad will table the bill in the Upper House.
Follow the live updates:
* Rajya Sabha adjourned till January 2, 2019, after uproar over Triple Talaq Bill
* After uproar, Rajya Sabha adjourned till January 2.
* This is such an important bill which can positively or negatively affect the lives of crores of people can't be passed just like this without going to a select committee: Ghulam Nabi Azad, Leader of Opposition
* All Opposition parties unanimously have decided that this bill must be sent to the select committee: Derek O Brien, TMC
* The party has already made our stand clear: Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Triple Talaq Bill in Rajya Sabha
* Whatever judgement SC has given, we agree with that. The bill should be passed, but there are certain defects in the bill which should be removed. We want that the Bill should be passed as early as possible, but after corrections: Prasanna Acharya, BJD
* I've gone through a broken marriage and I feel that women face the biggest challenge economically after her marriage is broken. When we talk about reservations for Muslims, BJP rejects it on religious lines. But when it comes to this kind of law, then they run to Parliament: Mehbooba Mufti
* By bringing Triple Talaq Bill, they (BJP) are entering our houses. This will disturb our family life and also, there'll be more problems for women and men economically: Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti
* Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm after uproar by Opposition over different issues.
* Meeting underway in Parliament, chaired by PM Narendra Modi. Party President Amit Shah, Finance Minister Arun and Home Minister Rajnath Singh present in the meeting.
* I appeal to them (TDP RS MPs) to obstruct the harassment of Muslims. All opposition parties should fight unitedly against the anti-Muslim attitude of BJP. The govt forcibly imposing Triple Talaq act is a danger for secularism and national integrity: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu
* Meeting of opposition parties underway in Rajya Sabha LoP Ghulam Nabi Azad's chamber in Parliament
— ANI (@ANI) December 31, 2018
* Meeting of opposition parties begins in Rajya Sabha LoP Ghulam Nabi Azad's chamber in Parliament
* TMC moves a motion for reference of The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill 2018 (Triple Talaq Bill), as passed by Lok Sabha, to a Select Committee of Rajya Sabha.
* Triple Talaq Bill that makes practice of instant divorce among Muslims criminal offence with provision of three-year jail term for erring husband, is set to be tabled in Rajya Sabha by Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. Amid a walkout by some Opposition parties, the bill was passed in Lok Sabha with the support of 245 votes against 11 on Thursday.