Meerut is one of the 80 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh. Voting for Lok Sabha election in Uttar Pradesh will be held in seven phases and Meerut will went to polls in the first phase on 11 April. Counting for the election will be held on May 23.
Meerut registered 61.45 percent voter turnout in Lok Sabha Election 2019, a loss of 1.65 percent from 2014. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1888376 while 1160462 came out to exercise their franchise. While in 2014, the constituency registered 63.10 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1761618 while 1111632 voted.
Meerut constituency comprises of five assembly segments namely, Kithore, Meerut Cantonment, Meerut, Meerut and Hapur.
The first phase of voting in 8 constituencies of Uttar Pradesh ended on April 11. The fate of 11 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared. The total voter turnout recorded in UP was 64 per cent.
Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Meerut Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
|1||HAJI MOHAMMAD YAQOOB||Bahujan Samaj Party|
|2||RAJENDRA AGRAWAL||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|3||HARENDRA AGARWAL||Indian National Congress|
|4||AFZAAL||Bahujan Maha Party|
|6||KIRAN R C JATAV||Kartavya Rashtriya Party|
|7||DHARMENDRA||Bhartiya Janta Dal|
|8||NASIR ALI KHAN||Pragatishil Samajwadi Party (Lohia)|
|9||RAJESH GIRI||Sarvodaya Bharat Party|
|10||SHRAVAN KUMAR AGRAWAL||Independent|
|11||SAHANSAR PAL SINGH||Independent|
In the 2014 election, Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Rajendra Agarwal had won by a margin of 2,32,326 votes defeating his closest rival Bahujan Samaj Party's Mohammad Shahid Akhlak. While Agarwal had secured 5,32,981 votes, Akhlak had bagged 3,00,655 votes.
Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Rajendra Agarwal had won the seat in the 2009 election too where he bagged 2,32,137 votes. At the second spot was Bahujan Samaj Party's Malook Nagar who secured 1,84,991 votes.
Of the 13 contestants who were in the fray, the deposits of 10 of the candidates were forfeited in the last election.
BJP has yet again nominated Rajendra Agarwal from the seat while Bahujan Samaj Party has fielded Haji Mohammed Yaqoob to give the saffron party a tough fight. The Bahujan Samaj Party and the Samajwadi Party are fighting the Lok Sabha poll in alliance in Uttar Pradesh.