New Delhi: Major fire that broke out in Parliament premises on Sunday afternoon has been brought under control. Several fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames at Parliament AC plant.
"Maintenance work was going on in AC plant in Parliament premises, fire broke due to welding spark," Delhi Fire Service Director AK Sharma said. When asked if fire broke out due to negligence, Sharma said, "It appears so, ordinarily it happens when adequate precautions are not taken."
The fire broke out around 2:20 pm and was contained at around 2:50 pm. The shopkeepers nearby first alerted when the thick smoke started billowing from Parliament.
However, there are no reports of injuries or damage to the main Parliament House building in the fire.
Expressing concern over the fire, President Pranab Mukherjee has asked for an urgent enquiry into the cause, meanwhile, Home Ministry has sought report on fire in Parliament complex.
In last four day, this the second time there is a fire incident in Parliament premises.