Beed: In a extremely unfortunate incident, a class 5 girl student died of heat stroke on Tuesday after repeated trips to nearest hand pump in drought-hit Beed district of Maharashtra.
Reportedly, she was on her way to fetch water from a hand pump when she collapsed.
The girl was a resident of Sablkhed village in drought-hit Beed.
According to her uncle Ishwar, "Schools were closed so she went to fetch water in order to help us as we are facing extreme water scarcity."
"She fell unconscious on her way to hand pump and was taken to hospital where she was declared dead," her uncle added.
Horrible drought has struck several districts of Maharashtra and left many families in the rural regions in a miserable state.
There is not enough drinking water for people living in the region. The farmers in the region have been adversely impacted by the drought that has destroyed the most of the crops.