Woman in intensive care unit after police torture

A 45-year-old woman was admitted to a private hospital`s intensive care unit (ICU) after she suffered a heart ailment.

Indore: A 45-year-old woman was admitted to a private hospital`s intensive care unit (ICU) after she suffered a heart ailment caused allegedly when she was dragged by her hair and physically tortured by male policemen, the victim`s relative said here on Friday.

The victim, Meera Morya was taken to Bhandari Hospital from Heeranagar police station as her health deteriorated after torture, her nephew Vijay Hardia said. She was admitted to the ICU where her condition was stable this morning, hospital sources said.

Meera`s relatives and friends had to collect donations to meet the cost of her treatment, Hardia said.

"Three cops from Heeranagar police station, along with the neighbourhood constable G P Pandey, dragged Meera from Janakpuri yesterday by her hair, when she was alone in the forenoon, without allowing her to call anybody. My `buaji` (Meera) was verbally abused, misbehaved with and beaten up by them," her nephew Hardia said.

The alleged police misbehaviour appears to be motivated by the refusal to accept the hoodlum-like behaviour of neighbourhood cop G P Pandey`s wife Nirmala who used to allegedly threaten locals almost every day, pick up quarrels with other women in the locality and get into altercations, for which she was allegedly being shielded by the cop, he said.

Constable Pandey called the Heeranagar police station cops to harass Meera and take her there, he said.

After an FIR was filed by Meera`s relative, the police instituted an inquiry to be conducted by Superintendent of Police Rajesh Dandotiya, SP (East) O P Tripathi said.

Tripathi said the matter was under investigation and claimed that according to the police station in-charge, a female cop had accompained the group of male cops to Meera`s house. Beside, Meera had high blood pressure and not a heart attack, he said.

Meanwhile, SP Rajesh Dandotiya, who is investigating the case, said he is collecting information and facts from the Heeranagar police station, and that anyone found guilty would be punished.