Kolkata, July 23: Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee
today said the Centre was in favour of extension of ceasefire
in Nagaland but it would depend on the underground outfit NSCN
"We want the cease-fire to continue. But only our asking
for it won't do. There are two parties (Centre and NSCN-IM)
and it will depend on them to some extent", Mukherjee told
Earlier on July 17, the Nagaland Pradesh Congress
Committee had favoured extension of cease-fire between the
Centre and NSCN(I-M) and asked the concerned parties to
strictly adhere to the agreed ground rules of the truce to
give peace a chance in the state.
The eight-year-old cease-fire with the underground outfit
is to expire on July 31.
On the prevailing situation in the wake of economic
blockade, spearheaded by All Naga Students Association Manipur
(Ansam), Mukherjee said the situation in the state "to some
extent was bad but under control".
Infiltration in J&K increasing: Pranab
India today said terror
infrastructure was still being maintained across the border
and infiltration in Jammu and Kashmir has been increasing
"Infiltration (in Jammu and Kashmir) has never stopped. I
have said it many times that infiltration was taking place.
Every year when the ice starts melting, it increases.
"The number of cases of infiltration was increasing every
month. In June this year it was more than the previous month.
Similarly in July it was more than June," Defence Minister
Pranab Mukherjee told reporters here.
He said terror infrastructure on the other side of the
border like camps and launching pads were still being
"Due to the vigilance of our armed forces and security
forces infiltration was checked to some extent, but it never
stopped," Mukherjee said.