Toronto, March 24: The inquiry into the 1985 Air India bombing that killed 329 people may now gain access to secret Canadian documents that are crucial to the proceedings when the probe resumes next month.
Justice John Major, head of the commission that is conducting the inquiry was briefed by counsel Mark Freiman about the progress made in getting the government to produce the documents, the commission said in a release yesterday.
"Freiman is confident that the necessary evidence will be available to begin stage two of the Inquiry," the release said.
In February, Major threatened to shut down the inquiry unless a dispute about how much evidence will be made public by the government was resolved. He called for a progress report on the matter on March 26.
"In view of the update on the production of documents,the status report previously announced for March 26 is unnecessary," the release said.
The commission will resume hearing evidence on April 30 to provide "a reasonable amount of time" for counsel of the families and other parties to review the documents and prepare for the hearings, it said.