Nine Indian special forces that are among the world's best
Sep 30, 2016, 16:45 PM IST
The Special Protection Group
9. The Special Protection Group : The Special Protection Group, or SPG, is responsible for the protection of the Prime Minister of India, former PMs and members of their immediate family. They gather intelligence, assess threats and provide protection.
Garud Commando Force
8. Garud Commando Force : The Garud Commando Force of the Indian Air Force was formed in 2004.
Their training programme is one of the longest among all Indian special forces.
7. National Security Guard (NSG) : The National Security Guard is one of the elite counter-terrorist forces in the country. Besides providing security to the VIPs, it is also responsible for neutralising terrorist threats to vital installations.
Special Frontier Force
6. Special Frontier Force : This covert paramilitary special force was formed in the aftermath of the 1962 Sino-Indian war. It operates under the external intelligence agency RAW and reports directly to the Prime Minister.
5. Force One : Force One was formed in 2010 to counter deadly terror attacks in the country.
This force boasts of the fastest response time in the world.
4. Cobra : Cobra or the Commando Battalion for Resolute Action is a specialised unit of the CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force). They are exclusively trained in guerrilla warfare to counter Naxalism in India.
3. Ghatak Force : This special forces unit spearheads attacks ahead of a battalion strike. As the name suggests (It means killer in Hindi). It is one of the most lethal forces.
2. Para Commandos : The Para Commandos are part of the highly-trained Parachute Regiment of the Indian Army. Formed in 1966, it is the one of oldest airborne units in the world.
1. Marcos : Marcos is a marine commando force raised by the Indian Navy in 1987 to conduct special reconnaissance, amphibious warfare and counter-terrorism. Its training is considered the most stringent in the world as they are prepared both mentally and physically.