Islamabad, July 03: Pakistan has evidence that al Qaeda was behind last month's attack on the US consulate attack in Karachi, interior minister Moinuddin Haider said as the government deployed 70,000 troops in the areas bordering Afghanistan and Iran to prevent infiltration of al Qaeda and
"We know al Qaeda was behind the (June 14) attack on US consulate. We have credible information that al Qaeda financed it," Haider told a press conference in Rawalpindi yesterday.
Earlier, officials here named Pakistani Sunni extremist sectarian outfit Lashkar Jhangvi as "one of the gangs" that carried out the recent bomb attacks, including the one near the American consulate.
Jhangvi, whose leaders were arrested in a major crackdown, has close links with al Qaeda and is blamed for killing several minority Shia community members.
One of its top leaders, Akram Lahori, arrested along with a large number of cadre, told the media in Karachi that his organisation had killed over hundred people in the sectarian attacks but denied any role in the bomb attacks.
"None of us is involved in army bomb blasts either near Sheraton hotel or US consulate in Karachi or bomb attack in church in Islamabad," he said after his arrest.
He said his outfit had established training facilities in Afghanistan from where militants were sent to carry out attacks in Pakistan.