Kingston (Jamaica): Former World 100 metres champion Yohan Blake is back to full fitness but says he will not be rushing his comeback to international competition.
Instead, the 25-year-old plans to slowly work his way back into competition shape with the aim of being at his optimum for next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, reports CMC.
“We're on a different plan. He's fully healthy and 100 percent recovered, it's just getting into competition shape now. We're just trying to take our time,” the Jamaican’s agent, Cubie Seegobin, said here.
“He's working like normal, doing time trials, but we're just trying to make sure what happened the last two years doesn't happen and don't rush anything. So anything short of the Olympics would be great.”
Blake came to the fore when he won the 100 metres at the 2011 World Championships in Daegu, becoming the youngest World champion in the event at age 21. He stunned multiple-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt at the Jamaica National Championships in 2012 before copping silver in both sprints behind Bolt at the London Olympics a few months later.
However, his season the following year was thrown into disarray because of injury and an attempted comeback last July ended in disappointment when he pulled up during the 100 metres at the Glasgow Grand Prix at Hampden Park.
Seegobin said Blake’s training had been going well and the athlete could be making an appearance soon.
“Everything's going well. He's training. We hope to do something by the end of the month, but we're not in any rush for any competition or any specific timetable,” he said.
The World Championships is set for Beijing from August 22 to 30.