1. Dipa Karmakar was born on 9 August 1993 in Tripura.
2. Daughter of a weightlifting coach, Dipa has been practicing the sport since the age of six.
3. Her coach's name is Bisbeshwar Nandi, who has been with her ever since she took the sport.
4. Dipa won a bronze medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, becoming the first Indian female gymnast to do so in the history of the Games.
5. In 2015, at the Artistic Gymnastics Asian Championships, Dipa bagged yet another bronze.
6. In state, national and international championships the young athlete has 77 medals to her credit, majority of them are gold- 67.
7. Dipa made headlines when she became the first Indian female gymnast ever to qualify for the Olympics.
8. Dipa scripted history as she became the first Indian to qualify for the individual vault finals in Rio Olympics, 2016.
9. Dipa entered the final by successfully completing the Produnova vault which is considered the most dangerous move in the world of gymnasticstics.
10. Dipa Karmakar finished fourth in the vault final of Rio Olympics 2012 where she missed the bronze medal by a whisker.
11. Karmakar is only the fifth woman in gymnastics history to land the Produnova vault, or the handspring double front. It is also called the 'Vault of death'