Lok Sabha election updates: Rahul Gandhi should clarify his citizenship status, says Piyush Goyal
Here are Lok Sabha election 2019 updates of April 30.
The high-pitched political campaign continued across the country on Tuesday with leaders from several parties wooing voters for the Lok Sabha election 2019.
Thank you for joining us. Do come back again on May 1 for election live updates. Meanwhile, here are the updates from April 30:
* Rahul Gandhi should clarify his citizenship status, says Piyush Goyal, after the Centre issued a notice to the Congress president on his citizenship status.
* PM Modi did not violate poll code during Wardha speech, says EC.
* EC imposes fresh 48-hour ban on Azam Khan for violating model code of conduct. (Read full report)
* Gautam Gambhir, BJP's East Delhi Lok Sabha candidate on AAP candidate Atishi's allegations of him holding 2 voter-ID cards: I have only one voter-ID, from Rajendra Nagar. I don't have any other voter-ID. pic.twitter.com/6Mg9UwV0n6
— ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2019
* EC directs Ram Gopal Varma not to release NTR biopic
* बीते 5 वर्ष में अगर भारत की साख दुनिया में बढ़ी है, तो उसका कारण एक मजबूत सरकार है, जो आतंक को मुंहतोड़ जवाब देने की हिम्मत रखती है।
* East Delhi Returning Officer issues show cause notice to DMRC MD regarding an ad with picture of BJP's candidate Gautam Gambhir published in newspaper on April 26. Delhi Metro Rail Corp to submit documents from EC's Media Certification & Monitoring Committee for it, before May 2.
* Those people who till a few days ago were playing "Kaun Banega Pradhan Mantri" with each other, are now playing hide and seek after the fourth phase of voting concluded. Ab janta ne inke saare sapno ko chaar charan mein choor choor kar diya hai: PM Modi in Barabanki
* Soon after the Ministry of Home Affairs issued a notice to Congress President Rahul Gandhi`s to clarify his citizenship, his sister and the party General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra dismissed the allegations as rubbish and said her brother was an Indian who was born and brought up in India.
"I have not heard such rubbish earlier," Priyanka said.
#WATCH Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on MHA notice to Rahul Gandhi over citizenship, says," The whole of India knows that Rahul Gandhi is an Indian. People have seen him being born and grow up in India. Kya bakwaas hai yeh?" pic.twitter.com/Rgt457WMoi — ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2019
* Congress blames PM for wrecking the economy, allege Modi government took additional loans worth Rs 30 lakh crore since 2014.
* All India Trinamool Congress writes to Chief Election Commissioner alleging a violation of the model code of conduct by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, demands cancellation of PM's nomination.
"He is trying to influence the voters to vote for BJP creating a mala fide impression in their minds that many MLAs of AITC are in touch with him and will cross over to his party. We lodge a strong protest against this mischievous campaign. This tone of speech is very likely to create an indication of impending horse-trading related to the election," the letter by TMC read.
* Almost half of the election is over. Narendra Modi will lose the Lok Sabha election and the fear is evident on his face. Congress will send both Modi and Mukesh Ambani in jail in Rafale case, says Rahul Gandhi
* Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on MHA notice to Congress President Rahul Gandhi over citizenship: When a member of Parliament writes to any ministry, action required on their query is taken. It is not a big development, it is a normal process.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on MHA notice to Congress President Rahul Gandhi over citizenship: When a member of Parliament writes to any ministry, action required on their query is taken. It is not a big development, it is normal process. pic.twitter.com/nziFJzg801 — ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2019
* The Congress nominee from Himachal Pradesh`s Kangra Lok Sabha constituency has been served a show-cause notice by the Returning Officer for violating the model code of conduct while filing his nomination papers, official said.
* Refuting the allegations that he intimidated polling officers, Union Minister Babul Supriyo has said that the Presiding Officer was stage managing the entire voting process, which he just opposed."The windows adjacent to electronic voting machine (EVM) were open. People from outside can actually see what is going on inside the booth. The entire set up was wrong. We had the information about all this," Supriyo told ANI.
* West Bengal: New Colony booth president of BJP Uttam Mondal and his brother Gautam Mondal were allegedly attacked by TMC workers in Siliguri's Matigara area yesterday. FIR filed.
West Bengal: New Colony booth president of BJP Uttam Mondal and his brother Gautam Mondal were allegedly attacked by TMC workers in Siliguri's Matigara area yesterday. FIR filed. pic.twitter.com/ucg3vFSwWs — ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2019
* Ministry of Home Affairs issues notice to Congress president Rahul Gandhi over citizenship row, gives a two-week deadline to explains citizenship discrepancy.
Ministry of Home Affairs issues notice to Congress President Rahul Gandhi over his citizenship after receiving a complaint from Rajya Sabha MP Dr Subramanian Swamy; MHA asks Rahul Gandhi to respond in the matter within a 'fortnight'. pic.twitter.com/rkFu6TJ7lu — ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2019
* Attacking Narendra Modi for claiming that 40 TMC MLAs were in touch with him, Samajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav said the prime minister should be "banned for 72 years" for his "shameful" speech.
"Vikas (development) is asking... Did you hear the shameful speech of Pradhanji (PM)? After losing the faith of 125 crore countrymen, he (Modi) is now relying on the unethical assurance of defection allegedly given by the 40 MLAs," he tweeted. "This reflects his (Modi) black money mentality. He should be banned for not 72 hours but for 72 years," he said.
‘विकास’ पूछ रहा है: प्रधान जी का शर्मनाक भाषण सुना क्या? “सवा सौ करोड़” देशवासियों का भरोसा खोकर अब वो बंगाल के 40 विधायकों के तथाकथित दल-बदल के अनैतिक भरोसे तक सिमट गये हैं. ये वो नहीं काले धन की मानसिकता बोल रही है.
इसके लिए उन पर 72 घंटे नहीं बल्कि 72 साल का बैन लगना चाहिए. pic.twitter.com/H504UdfWGo — Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) April 30, 2019
* Lok Sabha election: Congress releases a list of star campaigners for Punjab and Chandigarh. Read full report
* Election Commission to hear pleas against Narendra Modi, Amit Shah and Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday.
* The Election Commission said it has seized unaccounted money, illicit liquor, drugs and other inducements worth a total of Rs 3274 crore in the fourth phase of the ongoing Lok Sabha elections on Monday.
* Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi to arrive in Amethi on a two-day visit, to campaign for party president Rahul Gandhi.
* Congress president Rahul Gandhi will address public in Madhya Pradesh's Jatara, Pathriya and Amanganj.
* BJP party president to address the public in Rajasthan's Dausa, Bharatpur, Alwar and Muraina.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to address rallies in Bihar's Muzaffarpur, Uttar Pradesh's Bahraich and Barabanki today.
* Congress urges Election Commission to bar PM Narendra Modi from campaigning for a period of at least 48-72 hours for allegedly violating the Model Code of Conduct. "Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah are not above EC and MCC. It is even more necessary, that to give a clear and simple message, Prime Minister should be barred from campaigning for 48 to 72 hours," Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
* Finance Minister Arun Jaitley alleged that Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi and Digvijaya Singh had "suddenly" discovered religiosity and said elections are a "convenient season for all the neo-converts".