Kolkata: A major fire broke out at Dum Dum here on Sunday night leaving a person dead. As many as 150 shops were also charred in the mishap.
The incident took place in a marker area called Gora Bazaar. As many as 22 fire tenders rushed to the spot to douse the blaze.
The fire broke out ín the wee hours at around 2 o'clock and was reportedly caused due to a short circuit.
The two deceased have been identified as the guards of the market.
As per locals, five fire extinguishing engines initially arrived the spot within a span of one hour.
A watchman, who noticed smoke gushing out of a shop, informed the fire department.
Meanwhile, the Dum Dum police have initiated a probe into the matter.
According to the fire officials, the streets inside the market being narrow, it took them time to bring down the fire under control.