Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Srinagar: Even as the "face-off" continued between Indian and Chinese Army troops at Depsang in Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector in Ladakh, reports claimed on Wednesday that Beijing has asked New Delhi to dismantle several fortified positions in the so-called disputed territory.
At the second flag meeting held on Tuesday following the April 15 incident when a platoon of troops from China`s People`s Liberation Army (PLA) intruded 10 kilometres inside the Indian territory in DBO sector and set up a tented post there, no resolution could be reached between the two sides.
As per reports, the Indian side refused to accept the Chinese demand and that led to an impasse.
Following the impasse, the Indian Army is planning to move more troops to the region, in what may further lead to an escalation in tensions. The Army had earlier sent a team of Ladakh Scouts -- an Infantry regiment specialising in mountain warfare -- to the DBO sector, manned by the troops of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), soon after the incursion was detected.
The Chinese side told India that its troops would not move out from Depsang until its demands were met.
Reports have claimed that on April 15, Chinese helicopters had violated Indian airspace as well.
On Tuesday, MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin ha described the situation as being "face to face", but was hopeful of a peaceful resolution.
"We see this as a face to face situation between (the) border forces," he said, adding the incident reflected differences over the alignment of the LAC.
The spokesperson said India had asked China to maintain status quo as it was before the intrusion.
As per officials, at least 30 Chinese soldiers armed with light machine guns are camping 10 kms inside India`s perception of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at Raki Nala. The nearest Indian post – of the ITBP – is at Burste, 20 kms away.
Such kind of Chinese aggression was last seen in 1986 when Chinese troops had set up a camp on disputed territory.