close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu and Kashmir: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu and Kashmir.

Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu and Kashmir: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Baramulla is one of the six Lok Sabha constituencies in Jammu and Kashmir. 

Baramulla registered 34.29 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 4.64 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1312158 while the total voter turnout is 449910. While in 2014, the constituency registered 38.93 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1189099 while the total voter's turnout was 462951.

The first phase of voting in two constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir ended on April 11. The fate of nine candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

Altogether 56 per cent voters exercised their franchise in the first phase of polling in two Lok Sabha constituencies in Jammu and Kashmir.

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu and Kashmir.

1 JAHANGIR KHAN Jammu & Kashmir National Panthers Party
2 ABDUL QAYOOM WANI Jammu & Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party
3 HAJI FAROOQ AHMAD MIR Indian National Congress
4 MOHAMMAD AKBAR LONE Jammu & Kashmir National Conference
5 MOHD MAQBOOL WAR Bharatiya Janata Party
6 RAJA AIJAZ ALI Jammu & Kashmir People Conference
7 JAVID AHMAD QURESHI Independent
8 SYED NAJEEB SHAH NAQVI Independent
9 ENGINEER RASHID Independent

The Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency is spread over 15 assembly segments in three districts of north Kashmir. 

Baramulla Lok Sabha constituency comprises of fifteen assembly segments namely, Karnah, Kupwara, Lolab, Handwara, Langate, Uri, Rafiabad, Sopore, Gurez, Bandipora, Sonawari, Sangrama, Baramulla, Gulmarg and Pattan.

The voting population in Baramulla is predominantly Muslim, with a small minority of Sikh voters. While most Kashmiri Pandits had migrated out of the Valley in the early 1990s, some members of the community still reside in the constituency. 

In the 2019 election, the main contest in Baramulla is between Muhammad Akbar Lone of the National Conference (NC), Raja Aijaz Ali of the Peoples Conference (PC) and Abdul Qayoom Wani of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). In all, there are nine candidates who are in the fray for the election. 

Jammu and Kashmir constituencies: All you need to know

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Jammu & Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party's Muzaffar Hussain Baig had won the seat by a margin of 29,219 votes. 

In 2009, National Conference (NC) MP Sharief-ud-din Shariq was the winner by securing 2,03,022 votes while his closest rival Peoples Democratic Party's Mohammad Dilawar Mir had bagged 1,38,208 votes.