Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The nation woke up to a jubilant news this morning. Wrestler Sakshi Malik ended India's medal drought at the ongoing Rio Olympics 2016 by clinching a bronze medal in the women's freestyle 58 kg category.
The 23-year-old girl from Haryana defeated Kyrgyzstan's Aisuluu Tynybekov to become the first woman wrestler from India to bag an Olympic medal and the fourth Indian wrestler to win medal at the biggest sporting event in the world.
Here are seven must-known facts about the wrestler.
- She was born in Mokhra village, near Rohtak city, in Haryana.
- She took up wrestling at the age of 12 under the guidance of Ishwar Dahiya at a local akhara.
- Her first success as a professional wrestler came in 2010 at the Junior World Championships where she won a bronze medal.
- She claimed a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in Johannesburg in 2013.
- At the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, she won a silver medal.
- At the 2015 Asian Championships in Doha, Qatar she finished in third position thereby claiming a bronze medal.
- She is one of the 35 athletes from Indian railways to represent India at the Rio Olympics 2016.