RAJKOT: At least three minor girls died and almost 15 others were injured after a massive fire broke out at 'Rashtra Katha Shivir' event of Swami Dhrambandhu in Rajkot's Pransla village in Gujarat on late Friday. The reason for the fire is yet to be ascertained.
Several fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the flames were brought under control after a while. A large number of NRIs, who had come to listen to Swami Dhramguru, were also present at the event at the time of the incident. As many as 500 people were evacuated by the fire brigade team from the spot. All the injured were rushed to a nearby hospital in Rajkot in a critical state.
As per reports, the event organisers did not have any of the fire safety measures to tackle such situations. Also, there were no emergency vehicles in place at the locations - a prerequisite while organising such events. After the incident, the District Collector and the Superintended of Police reached the spot to take a stock of the situation.
— ANI (@ANI) January 13, 2018
Though there has been no official confirmation yet, the police is believing short circuit to be the reason behind the flame.
In another incident in Rajasthan, five members of a family died in a fire at their residence in Jaipur's Vidyasagar in the wee hours on Sunday. The police believe cylinder burst to be the reason behind the fire.