Counting for 38 Lok Sabha seats in Tamil Nadu and one seat in Puducherry has begun. Election trends started pouring in soon, revealing the early winners and trailing candidates. Eight hundred and twenty-two candidates are in the fray from Tamil Nadu while 18 candidates contested from Puducherry.
The main battle in Tamil Nadu is between AIADMK-BJP and DMK-Congress. This was the first major election in Tamil Nadu without the two stalwarts - J Jayalalithaa and M Karunanidhi. In the lone seat of Puducherry, the All India NR Congress (AINRC) and the Congress are the only two parties. The AINRC is expected to lose the seat to Congress.
Here are the latest trends of the Lok Sabha election result from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry:
* TamilNadu: Celebrations outside DMK headquarters in Chennai; According to Official EC trends, DMK is leading on 22 seats.
* Congress winning the lone seat in Puducherry; Ve Vaithilingam leads, AINRC's Narayanasamy Kesavan trailing.
* DMK leading in 22 seats, Congress in 1 in Tamil Nadu.
* Congress' Ve Vaithilingam leading from Puducherry.
* S Jagathrakshakan of DMK leading from Arakkonam seat in Tamil Nadu.
* DMK-Congress has taken a lead by 4 more votes, making it 16 while BJP's tally is now 4.
* DMK-Congress leads in 12 seats, BJP in 3.