New Delhi: Lt Gen JFR Jacob (retd) passed away on Wednesday.
Here a few facts about him:
- Born in 1923, Jacob is best known for his role in India's victory in the Indo-Pakistan war of 1971 and the liberation of Bangladesh.
- Jacob had negotiated the surrender of Pakistani troops in Dhaka following the 1971 war.
- Born in the Bengal Presidency under British India, Jacob joined the Army at the age of 19 and also fought in World War II and the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965 before he retired in 1978.
- Post retirement, he also served as the Governor of Goa and Punjab.
- Jack Farj Rafael Jacob, whose family had originally come from Iraq and settled in Bengal in the mid-18th century, grew up in a conservative Baghdadi Jews household.
- The Times of Israel, in an article dated August 07, 2012, called him `A Jewish war hero`.