Islamabad: Pakistan on Wednesday said over a million people displaced due to military operations in North Waziristan tribal region will return to their native areas beginning next month.
More than a million people were forced to flee their homes to neighbouring areas after army launched an offensive in the troubled region in mid-June last year.
The phase-wise return of the displaced people will start from February 15, Minister for States and Frontier Regions Abdul Qadir Baloch said at a press conference here.
He said the return and rehabilitation will be completed within a year and the government needed Rs 100 billion (USD 1 billion) for it.
Baloch called upon philanthropists and people to join hands to rebuild hospitals, schools and other facilities in tribal areas.
Ninety per cent people of North Waziristan denounce terrorism and want to live in peace, he said, adding Pakistan's army had been fighting local and foreign terrorists and it will continue till militancy is eliminated in the region.
Modalities were also being finalised with all stakeholders, including UNHCR and Afghan government, for their honourable return, he said.