Marco Angelo D'Souza
World's leading software manufacturer, Microsoft Corporation, has finally announced its new operating system, Windows 10.
And the good news?
The startup menu is back and the most recent versions of the OS, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 will get free upgrades.
Windows 10 is expected to hit the market this autumn and will be available for one year as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, Terry Myerson, head of Microsoft`s operating systems group said.
Here are some of the major improvements and features of Windows 10.
* Windows 10 demoed, will be a free upgrade for Windows 8.1 & 7 users
* A Feature called continuum brings hardware detection to switch between laptop and tablet mode
* There’s a new startup menu, which is now brought back compared to Windows 8 where it was removed
* Windows 10 for phones is a work in progress, but will be here soon
* Voice-based digital Assistant Cortana in the OS and browser as well
* One app store with universal apps across devices
* New web browser Spartan to replace Internet Explorer
* Crossplay between Xbox One and PC; can stream Xbox exclusive games to PC as well; social aspect to new Xbox app for Windows
* New DirectX 12 cuts power consumption of gaming on mobile devices in half
* Giant collaborative touch screen device called Microsoft Surface hub announced
* "Windows Holographic" augmented reality with HoloLens headset works with Windows 10 to place virtual objects into a real view; the headset is stand-alone (doesn’t require to be connected to the computer); has voice & gesture controlled with sensors and transparent lens display