Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Wednesday asked the centre to reconsider its decision to revoke Haj subsidy.
“We came to know that the union government has withdrawn Haj subsidy. We demand the government to review its decision,” said Palaniswami.
Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Tuesday announced that the "Subsidy on Haj is over from this year.”
He further added that the money saved will be used for the education of minorities, particularly girls.
“Almost everyone from the Muslim community has welcomed this move including many organizations,” said Naqvi.
Nearly 1.75 lakh Muslims, highest number so far, will go on Haj pilgrimage this year.