A traditional sweet delicacy from Maharashtra, modaks are specially prepared & served during the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi as an offering to the Lord.
Recipe by Chef Zaid.
- 2 Cups of water
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 2 Cups rice flour
- 1/4 Cup jaggery
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 Tsp cardamom powder
- 1 Cup grated coconut
1) In a pan add 2 cups of water, followed by ghee & salt and let it boil.
2) Add rice flour to the pan & mix till everything is incorporated well and remove from heat.
3) In another pan, add some jaggery & wait till it melts completely.
4) Add raisins, cardamom powder & poppy seeds
5) Mix till the whole thing has become a little sticky
6) Add a cup of grated coconut to the above while it’s still hot and mix well
7) Apply oil to your palms & start kneading the rice flour dough
8) Add some cardamom powder & knead again
9) Now pinch out small portions from the dough & start making into flat discs
10) Once the flat disc is formed, start pinching it from all corners till it resembles a star
11) Put a small portion of the coconut-jaggery mix in the center & close it
12) In a deep bottomed pan, put some water to heat & bring it to a roaring boil
13) Get a sieve that fits into the pan comfortably without slipping to the bottom
14) Brush the sieve with ghee & place it on the pan
15) Now, start placing the Modaks on the sieve & close the lid
16) Steam for 20 minutes
Modaks are now ready to be served!