New Delhi: The final procession of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee will take place on Friday in the national capital and the Delhi Police has issued a traffic advisory keeping this in mind. Several important roads will be closed for the general public from 8 am onwards in order to ensure smooth vehicular movement during Vajpayee's final journey. However, the restrictions has not been implemented for the entire day.
Speaking to reporters on Friday morning, Delhi DCP Madhur Verma assured that the Delhi police has made elaborate security arrangements for the last rites procession. He added, "It will be ensured that the people who come to pay last respect & the commuters face minimum inconvenience and that there is no compromise with security."
Vajpayee's last rites will be performed at the Rashtriya Smriti Sthal here at 4 pm on Friday.
The following roads will be closed for general public from 8 am onwards:
1. Krishna Menon Marg
2. Sunehri Bagh Road
3. Tughlak Road
4. Akbar Road
5. Tees January Marg
6. Janpath from Claridges Hotel to Windsor Place
7. Man Singh Road
8. C-Hexagon from Shahjahan Road to Tilak Marg
9. Rajpath from Man Singh Road to C-Hexagon
10. Ashok Road from Windsor Place to C-Hexagon
11. KG Marg from Feroz Shah Road to C-Hexagon
12. Copernicus Marg from Mandi House to C-Hexagon
13. Shahjahan Road
14. Zakir Hussain Marg from SBM to India Gate (C-Hexagon)
15. Tilak Marg From C-Hexagon to Tilak Bridge
16. Bhagwan Dass Road
17. Sikandara Road
18. Mathura Road from Bhairon Marg T Point to W Point
19. BSZ Marg from Tilak Bridge to Delhi Gate
20. IP Marg
21. DDU Marg
22. JLN Marg from Rajghat to Delhi Gate
23. Ring Road from IGI Stadium T Point to Yamuna Bazar
24. Netaji Subhash Marg from Delhi Gate to Chhatta Rail
25. Nishad Raj Marg from Netaji Subhash Marg to Shantivan
However, the following corridors will be available for the commuters:
Alternative 1: Aurobindo Marg - Safdarjung Road - Mother Teresa Crescent - Park Street - Mandir Marg - Panchkuian Road - Rani Jhansi Road and reach the destination in North Delhi and vice-versa
Alternative 2: Reach Connaught Place - Minto Road - Bhavbhuti Marg - Ajmeri Gate-Shraddhanand Marg - Lahori Gate Chowk - Naya Bazar - Peeli Kothi - SP Mukherjee Marg and then reach the destination in North Delhi and vice versa
Alternative 3: Ring Road ISBT (Kashmere Gate) - Salim Garh bypass Road (Upper Ring Road ) - IP Estate Flyover and vice versa
Alternative 4: Reach Nizamuddin Bridge to cross Yamuna - Pushta Road - GT Road and cross over to ISBT and reach the destination in North Delhi and vice versa
DND-NH24 - Vikas Marg - Shandara Bridge and Wazirabad Bridge will remain open to reaching Ring Road
Vikas Marg - T/L Ring Road -T/R to Mathura Road - Bhairon Marg towards New Delhi
Traffic will also not be permitted on lower Ring Road from ISBT Kashmere Gate towards Shantivan and from IP flyover towards Rajghat.
Vajpayee is the 10th prime minister of India and will be cremated with full state honour. The mortal remains of the former prime minister which is presently resting at his Krishna Menon Marg home will be taken to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) headquarters at around 9 a.m. Vajpayee's funeral procession will take place at Smriti Sthal at 1.30 pm.
He led the National Democratic Alliance government from 1998 to 2004 and was the first-ever member of the BJP to become India's Prime Minister.