Almora Lok Sabha Constituency of Uttarakhand: Full list of candidates, polling dates
Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from the Almora Lok Sabha constituency.
Almora is one of five parliamentary constituencies in the northern state of Uttarakhand.
Almora registered 51.67 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 1.53 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1309090 while the total voter turnout is 676387. While in 2014, the constituency registered 53.20 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1231031 while the total voter's turnout was 654963.
Formed before 1957, the Almora Lok Sabha constituency is made up of 14 assembly segments in four districts - Almora, Bageshwar, Champawat and Pithoragarh. This constituency has been reserved for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste since 2009.
The first phase of voting in five constituencies of Uttarakhand ended on April 11. The fate of 6 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.
Altogether 58 per cent voters exercised their franchise in the first phase of polling in five Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttarakhand.
Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from the Almora Lok Sabha constituency:-
|1||SAJJAN LAL TAMTA||Independent|
|2||Sunder Dhoni (Advocate)||Bahujan Samaj Party|
|3||Ajay Tamta||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|4||Pradeep Tamta||Indian National Congress|
|5||Advocate Vimla Arya||UTTARAKHAND PARIVARTAN PARTY|
|6||Dropadi Verma||Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (Democratic)|
|7||K.L. Arya||Uttarakhand Kranti Dal|
|8||CHANDRA MOHAN BERI||Independent|
|9||SAJJAN LAL TAMTA||Independent|
Ajay Tamta has been the face of BJP in the Almora Lok Sabha constituency and is again contesting from this seat here. In 2014, Tamta had managed to upstage Congress rival Pradeep Tamta by close to one lakh votes in what was considered a solid performance.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Congress candidate Pradeep Tamta had trounced Ajay Tamta. However, the victory margin was not very impressive - seven thousand votes.
Both BJP and Congress have been the two major political players in the hill state of Uttarakhand and had seized power at different time intervals.