close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Berhampur Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Berhampur Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha.

Berhampur Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Berhampur Lok Sabha Constituency, is one of 21 Lok Sabha constituencies in the eastern state of Odisha and cast its vote in the 2019 election on April 11.

Berhampur registered 65.65 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 2.24 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1499216 while the total voter turnout is 984270. While in 2014, the constituency registered 67.89 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1330157 while the total voter's turnout was 903045.

Berhampur Constituency covers seven assembly segments –  Chatrapur, Gopalpur, Berhampur, Chikiti, Digapahandi, Mohana and Parlakhemundi.

The first phase of voting in Berhampur - one of the four parliamentary constituencies of Odisha where polling was held - ended on April 11. The fate of 8 contesting candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared. 

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Berhampur Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha.

1 V.CHANDRASEKHAR NAIDU Indian National Congress
2 CHANDRA SEKHAR SAHU Biju Janata Dal
3 TIRUPATHI RAO KARANAM Bahujan Samaj Party
4 BHRUGU BAXIPATRA Bharatiya Janata Party
5 SRIHARI PATNAIK Odisha Pragati Dal
7 SOMANATH BEHERA SOCIALIST UNITY CENTRE OF INDIA (COMMUNIST)
11 K. SHYAMBABU SUBUDHI Independent
13 B.BISHNU PRASAD SUBUDHI Independent
14 BHRUGU BAXIPATRA Bharatiya Janata Party
19 K. SHYAMBABU SUBUDHI Independent

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Siddhanta Mahapatra of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) – won with a huge margin of over 1.27 lakh votes. He had defeated Indian National Congress (INC) Chandra Sekhar Sahu.

Odisha constituencies: All you need to know

In the year 2009, Mahapatra had defeated Sahu by getting a margin of 57 thousand votes.

The voter turnout across 1325 polling stations for this election here was 58.92 per cent. Some of the other candidates in the fray were Pabitra Gamango from Bahujan Samaj Party.