close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Koraput Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Koraput Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha.

Koraput Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Koraput Lok Sabha Constituency is one of 21 Lok Sabha constituencies in the eastern state of Odisha and cast its vote in the 2019 election on April 11.

Koraput registered 74.77 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 1.24 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1433850 while the total voter turnout is 1072133. While in 2014, the constituency registered 76.01 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1300049 while the total voter's turnout was 988197.

Koraput Constituency covers seven assembly segments –   Gunupur, Bissam-Cuttack, Rayagada, Lakshmipur, Pottangi, Koraput and Jeypore.

The first phase of voting in Koraput - one of the four parliamentary constituencies of Odisha where polling was held - ended on April 11. The fate of 7 contesting candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared. The total voter turnout recorded in Odisha was 66 per cent.

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Koraput Lok Sabha constituency of Odisha.

1 KAUSALYA HIKAKA Biju Janata Dal
2 JAYARAM PANGI Bharatiya Janata Party
3 SAPTAGIRI SANKAR ULAKA Indian National Congress
4 BHASKAR MUTUKA Bahujan Samaj Party
5 SAPTAGIRI SANKAR ULAKA Indian National Congress
8 DAMODARA SABAR Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) (Liberation)
9 BANAMALI MAJHI Ambedkarite Party of India
11 RAJENDRA KENDRUKA Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) Red Star

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Jhina Hikaka of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) – won with a margin of over 19 thousand votes. He had defeated Indian National Congress' (INC) Giridhar Gamang.

Some of the other candidates in the fray were Bharatiya Janata Party's Shibashankar Ulka and Praska Renga of the  Bahujan Samaj Party.

Odisha constituencies: All you need to know

In the year 2009, BJD's Jayaram Pangi defeated INC's Giridhar Gamang by getting a margin of 96 thousand votes.

The voter turnout across 1516 polling stations for this election here was 62.64 per cent. Some of the other candidates in the fray were Meghanada Sabar from CPI(ML) Liberation and BJP's Upendra Nath.