close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency of Assam: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency of Assam.

Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency of Assam: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Lakhimpur is one of 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in the north-eastern state of Assam. Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency covers nine assembly segments - Majuli (ST), Naoboicha, Lakhimpur, Dhakukhana (ST), Dhemaji (ST), Jonai (ST), Chauba, Doom Dooma and Sadiya.

Lakhimpur registered 75.05 percent voter turnout in Lok Sabha Election 2019, a loss of 2.73 percent from 2014. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1704447 while 1279119 came out to exercise their franchise. While in 2014, the constituency registered 77.78 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 1429592 while 1111895 voted.

The first phase of voting in five constituencies of Assam ended on April 11. The fate of 19 candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

Here is the list of candidates who are contesting from Dibrugarh Lok Sabha constituency of Assam:

SR No. Candidate Name Party Name
1 ANIL BORGOHAIN Indian National Congress
4 HEM KANTA MIRI SOCIALIST UNITY CENTRE OF INDIA (COMMUNIST)
7 PRADAN BARUAH Bharatiya Janata Party
8 ARUP KALITA Communist Party of India
9 PURNA KANTA DEORI Independent
10 ANUP PRATIM BORBARUAH Nationalist Congress Party
11 AMIYA KUMAR HANDIQUE Communist Party of India (Marxist)
12 UBAIDUR RAHMAN Asom Jana Morcha
14 AMBAZ UDDIN Independent
15 DILIP MORAN Assam Dristi Party
17 BHUPEN NARAH Voters Party International
19 PROBHU LAL VAISNAVA Independent

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, current CM of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal of BJP registered an impressive performance by defeating Congress' Ranee Narah by 2,92,138 votes. The overall voter turnout for the election in Assam was 80 per cent.

In 2016, Sonowal's promotion to the post of CM necessitated a by-election which saw BJP's Pradan Baruah defeat Congress' Hema Hari Prasanna Pegu by almost two lakh votes.

BJP's dominance was quite limited in the 2009 Lok Sabha election when Congress' Ranee Narah emerged victorious by defeating Asom Gana Parishad's Arun Kumar Sharma.