Lok Sabha election 2019 updates: EC's Odisha poll observer Mohammed Mohsin transferred to Karnataka CEC office
The third phase polling will be held on April 23 (Tuesday) for 117 constituencies including those in Gujarat, Kerala, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and 11 other states.
A high-pitched political campaign will take place on Sunday across the nation with leaders from several parties wooing voters for the Lok Sabha election 2019.
As Sunday marks the last day of campaigning for the third phase polling, the nation will witness a hectic campaign. The third phase polling will be held on April 23 (Tuesday) for 117 constituencies including those in Gujarat, Kerala, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and 11 other states. The Election Commission (EC) is also cracking the whip on political leaders who have violated the poll code.
Thank you for joining us. Do come back again on Monday (April 22) for live updates of Lok Sabha election 2019.
Here are the updates:
* Election Commission has transferred Mohammed Mohsin (who was appointed General Observer in Odisha for the 2019 Lok Sabha election) to the office of Karnataka Chief Electoral Officer.
* Sadhvi Pragya replies to EC notice over controversial remarks on 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare.
* Election for the Patkura assembly constituency, scheduled to be held on April 29, adjourned due to the death of BJD candidate Bed Prakash Agarwalla.
* BJP releases list of candidates for Delhi, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and UP; Dr Harsh Vardhan to contest from Delhi's Chandni Chowk, Manoj Tiwari - North East Delhi, Pravesh Verma - West Delhi, Ramesh Bidhuri - South Delhi and Hardeep Puri from Amritsar.
Bharatiya Janata Party releases list of candidates for Delhi, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and UP; Dr Harsh Vardhan to contest from Delhi's Chandni Chowk, Manoj Tiwari- North East Delhi, Pravesh Verma- West Delhi, Ramesh Bidhuri -South Delhi and Hardeep Puri from Amritsar pic.twitter.com/VDaivg0A7n — ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2019
* Campaigning ends for the third phase of 2019 Lok Sabha polls scheduled to be held on April 23.
* BJP's Mukul Roy writes to CEO West Bengal over campaigning by Bangladeshi actors for Trinamool Congress, states, "No foreign hand can be allowed to meddle in India's electoral process. TMC ought to be de-recognised as a political party with immediate effect."
* Friends from Delhi rang up because they thought I was in bad health. My health has always been good, told them so. They told me this is what Baijayant Panda was spreading. I was shocked: BJD chief
* Their (Baijayant Panda) companies have always had a shady reputation. He has big political ambitions. He started doing a number of anti-party activities and started leaning strongly towards the BJP...that's how it all ended: Odisha CM
* He (Baijayant Panda) wanted to be chairman of Parliamentary Finance Committee. Our party didn't have sufficient numbers so he thought he'd get support of BJP. I didn’t think it was a good idea and didn’t support him due to the financial dealings of his company: BJD chief Naveen Patnaik
* BJD chief Naveen Patnaik reacts to Baijayant Panda's exit from the party.
* 'If Congress president asks me to contest, I will be happy to contest: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on being asked if she will be contesting from Varanasi.
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on being asked if she will be contesting from Varanasi: If Congress President asks me to contest, I will be happy to contest. #LokSabhaElections2019 pic.twitter.com/rbMagjccOF — ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2019
* Priyanka Gandhi Vadra meets late VV Vasantha Kumar's family members in Makkamkunnu, Wayanad. Kumar had lost his life in Pulwama terror attack on February 14.
Kerala: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra meets Late V V Vasantha Kumar's family members in Makkamkunnu, Wayanad. Kumar had lost his life in Pulwama terror attack on February 14. pic.twitter.com/QnxyAKFMia — ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2019
* EC issues notice to Sadhvi Pragya for remarks on Babri Masjid demolition
* PM in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan: Do you want to see an India that gives reply to Pak or one that bows down to them? An India that gives a strong reply to terrorists or an India that stays mum after terrorist attacks? A Congress that weakens the country or a BJP that strengthens it?
* Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman holds a roadshow in Sultan Bathery, Kerala's Wayanad.
* Do you want to see an India that gives reply to Pakistan or one that bows down to them? An India that gives a strong reply to terrorists or an India that stays mum after terrorist attacks? A Congress that weakens the country or a BJP that strengthens it?: PM in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan
* BJP President Amit Shah holds a roadshow in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
* Meanwhile, the PM strongly condemns the horrific blasts in Sri Lanka. ''There is no place for such barbarism in our region. India stands in solidarity with the people of Sri Lanka. My thoughts are with the bereaved families and prayers with the injured,'' says PM in his message to the govt of Sri Lanka.
* When Wg Cdr Abhinandan was captured by Pakistan, I told Pakistan that If anything happens to our pilot then we will not leave you: PM Modi.
PM Narendra Modi in Patan,Gujarat: When #Abhinandan was captured by Pakistan, I said(to Pakistan) that If anything happens to our pilot then we will not leave you pic.twitter.com/0Vlcb7I1A6 — ANI (@ANI) April 21, 2019
* PM or not, either I will be alive or the terrorists, warns PM Narendra Modi
* PM Narendra Modi addresses an election rally in Gujarat, urges voters to vote for BJP and make his party victorious in all 26 Lok Sabha seats.
* Kerala: Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman holds a roadshow in Sultan Bathery, Wayanad.
* BJP president Amit Shah holds a roadshow in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
* The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) declared candidates for three seats in Haryana for the Lok Sabha election. The Arvind Kejriwal-led party fielded Naveen Jaihind from Faridabad, Prithviraj from Ambala, and advocate Krishan Kumar Agarwal from Karnal. "The AAP will fight in Haryana on three seats; Naveen Jaihind will be the party`s candidate from Faridabad, social worker Prithviraj from Ambala and advocate Krishna Kumar Agarwal from Karnal seat," said AAP leader Gopal Rai at a joint press conference here. "The names of the remaining candidates of the AAP-Jannayak Janta Party (JJP) alliance will be out by the evening," he added.
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he had warned Pakistan of consequences if it had not returned Indian Air Force pilot Abhinandan Varthaman. Addressing a poll rally at Patan in his home state Gujarat, he also took a jibe at NCP leader Sharad Pawar, saying if he is unaware of his next move, then how Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan can gauge what he will do. "We conducted a press conference and warned Pakistan that if anything happened to our pilot, you will keep telling the world that PM Modi did this to you. A senior American official said on the second day that PM Modi has kept ready 12 missiles and might attack and the situation will deteriorate. Pakistan announced to return the pilot on the second day, else it was going to be a "qatal ki raat'," PM said Modi.
* 2006 Malegaon blast accused and BJP Lok Sabha candidate from Bhopal, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, said she is "proud" to accept that she was involved in the demolition of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya. On being asked about her involvement in the demolition of Babri Masjid and if she would play a major role in building a Ram temple in Ayodhya, Thakur said, "I will go to make the Ram Temple. I have said it yesterday and I am not denying it that I had gone there. I have demolished Babri structure. He is my Ram ji and no one can stop me from making a grand Ram temple."
* Bhopal District Election Officer issued a notice to BJP Lok Sabha candidate Pragya Singh Thakur and sought explanation within a day for her remark on the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya.
* An FIR has been registered against Mumbai Congress president, Milind Deora, for violating Model Code of Conduct (MCC). This comes two days after the Maharashtra State Election had asked LT Marg police to file an FIR against Deora after his comments on the Jain community were found "false and religiously sensitive". The EC looked into the matter after it received a complaint from a Shiv Sena leader. On April 4, Deora, while addressing an event at Zhaveri Bazar, had accused Shiv Sena of hurting religious sentiments of Jain followers. The Mumbai Congress president urged the community to teach them a lesson by not voting for the party in the ongoing Lok Sabha election.
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address a rally in Patan in north Gujarat at 10.30 am. The PM will also address two rallies in Rajasthan's Chittorgarh and Barmer at 1.45 pm and 4.30 pm respectively.
* BJP chief and Gandhinagar Lok Sabha candidate Amit Shah will hold a roadshow in Gujarat's Sanand area in his constituency. Shah will attend meetings with secretaries of societies in Ahmedabad between 9 am to 11 am and will attend a public gathering in Sanand at 12 noon.
* NCP chief Sharad Pawar will hold a rally in Maharashtra's Baramati.
* Congress leader Hardik Patel will campaign at 10 am in a rural area of Jamnagar, Gujarat.
* Congress president Rahul Gandhi will be in the national capital today. A final agreement of Congress' alliance with AAP is likely to come out. Debate on new security manifesto is also likely to take place.
* Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will address three rallies in Madhya Pradesh.
* Union Minister Nitin Gadkari will address a rally at Sangola in Sholapur district of Maharashtra at 12.30 pm.