Lok Sabha election updates: Campaigning ends for fourth phase
PM Narendra Modi addressed three rallies in Uttar Pradesh.
The campaigning for the fourth phase of polling for the Lok Sabha election ended on Saturday evening. The day witnessed a packed performance by political leaders as they held several rallies. A total of 18 booths --17 Lok Sabha and Assembly and one for only Assembly-- in Arunachal Pradesh is also set for re-polling for Lok Sabha and Assembly elections.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP president Amit Shah, Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi and several other leaders held rallies.
Thank you for joining us. Do come back again on Sunday (April 28) for live updates on Lok Sabha election 2019. Meanwhile, here are the updates from Saturday (April 27):
* BJP appealed to EC to bar AAP convener and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal from campaigning for alleged violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
* Makers of PM Modi biopic write to EC, seek clarification on its decision to stay film's release.
* Campaigning has now ended for phase 4 of Lok Sabha election. Polling will be held on April 29. Over 12 crore 79 lakh voters will cast their votes to decide the fate of 961candidates at over 1 lakh 40 thousand polling booths across nine states.
* Odisha CEO recommends re-poll in 12 booths, asks parties not to worry about EVM safety.
* Biju Janata Dal (BJD) writes to Chief Electoral Officer Odisha, alleging "distribution of cash among voters" by four associates of Baijayant Panda, BJP's Lok Sabha candidate from Kendrapara.
* BJP announces names of candidates for bypolls in six assembly seats of West Bengal.
* Before I became Prime Minister, there used to be a remote control government, there were only two mobile phone manufacturing companies in the country. Now within five years, there are more than 125 factories manufacturing mobiles in India: Narendra Modi in Hardoi.
* अभी-अभी शत्रुघ्न सिन्हा कांग्रेस में गए हैं। अब वो कहते हैं कि महात्मा गांधी और सरदार पटेल की तरह जिन्ना भी महान व्यक्ति थे।
* PM Modi terms opposition alliance 'opportunist' and 'mahamilawati' at Kannauj election rally. He mocked opposition leaders for their "dream" to become prime minister. He also slammed BSP chief Mayawati for seeking support of Samajwadi Party "just for sake of power". "Whatever efforts you (opposition) make, it will be..." the prime minister said, following which the crowd shouted in chorus "Modi again".
Madhya Pradesh CM Kamal Nath: Prime Minister should tell the nation who bears the expenses of his plane rides. He should reply from where did he get the money to construct a Rs 700 crore office of BJP in Delhi. Then only he should ask me questions pic.twitter.com/T6GI5FVwK3 — ANI (@ANI) April 27, 2019
* A case has been registered against Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan for "violating Model Code of Conduct at a rally in Shahabad, Rampur". Saloni Agarwal, CO (Milak, Rampur) said, "Comments made by Azam Khan on April 25 were found to be in violation of MCC and a case was registered against him and two others."
* Raids are being held against Mayawati, against our family. BJP is trying to frame opposition leaders. Because they know that in these polls, they're going to get defeated by 'mahagathbandhan' in respective states. CBI, ED, IT, are working like IT cell of BJP. We are fighting against BJP on all 40 seats. Tanveer Sahab (RJD Begusarai Lok Sabha candidate Tanveer Hasan) is going to win Begusarai seat and that too by a huge margin. Whatever environment one creates, we aren't bothered, because the public has made its mind: RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav
* If Pragya Singh Thakur, a convicted person, an accused person, can contest an election, and in the name of separatism, Delhi is asking him (Yasin Malik) at gunpoint to surrender, anyone with self-respect will react the way Yasin Malik did. Even though we do not support Yasin Malik's ideology or actions, the courage he has shown is something which should be appreciated because New Delhi cannot threaten anybody, India is a democracy: Congress leader PC Chacko
PC Chacko, Congress: If Pragya Singh Thakur, a convicted person, an accused person, can contest an election, and in the name of separatism, Delhi is asking him (Yasin Malik) at gun point to surrender, anyone with self respect will react the way Mr Yasin Malik did. pic.twitter.com/GmWg2ZY0D5 — ANI (@ANI) April 27, 2019
* This is the Congress family that starts from Mahatma Gandhi, to Sardar Vallabbhai Patel, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, and Subhas Chandra Bose, it's their party. They played the most important role in country's development and independence and so i joined their party. I have joined their party and will never leave the party: Shatrughan Sinha
#WATCH Shatrughan Sinha, Congress in Chhindwara, MP: Congress family from Mahatma Gandhi to Sardar Patel to Mohd Ali Jinnah to Jawaharlal Nehru...it's their party, they had the most important role in development & freedom of the country. This is the reason I've come here. (26.4) pic.twitter.com/HJg3EV8rNE — ANI (@ANI) April 27, 2019
Himachal Pradesh: Over 5000 school children formed a human chain in Una town yesterday to create awareness about voting during elections. The 4 Parliamentary constituencies of the state will undergo polling on 19 May in the seventh & last phase of #LokSabhaElections2019 . pic.twitter.com/SB3dF8oXH2 — ANI (@ANI) April 27, 2019
* Hamirpur administration issues notice to independent candidate Sanjay Kr Sahu after a video of people collecting cash from his office surfaced online. SDM Sadar said, "Written reply sought within 2 days. The team will file a report, if guilty, action will be taken for Model Code of Conduct violation."
Hamirpur admn issues notice to independent candidate Sanjay Kr Sahu after a video of ppl collecting cash from his office surfaced online. SDM Sadar says "Written reply sought within 2 days. Team will file report, if guilty, action will be taken for Model Code of Conduct violation pic.twitter.com/vmHCLrsIPi — ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 26, 2019
* Congress MLA Kalidas Kolambkar was seen at NDA's rally in Mumbai. PM Narendra Modi, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, among others addressed the rally. After attending the rally he said, "I'm angry from Congress as no work could happen in my constituency. I'll leave Congress and support those who work. I came here to listen to their speech.I used to come to Atal Bihari Vajpayee's speeches as well."
Maharashtra Congress MLA Kalidas Kolambkar after attending NDA rally: I'am angry from Congress as no work could happen in my constituency. I'll leave Congress & support those who work. I came here to listen to their speech.I used to come to Atal Bihari Vajpayee's speeches as well pic.twitter.com/LU6Ef9EF0E — ANI (@ANI) April 26, 2019
#Voting determines our future. Each of us must decide for ourselves what that should look like. There is no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter.
Go vote... #ItMatters
Credits: @MarvelStudios #LokSabhaElections2019 #NoVoterToBeLeftBehind #AvengersEndgame #Thanos pic.twitter.com/H0ySvEmKd4 — PIB India (@PIB_India) April 26, 2019
* The Election Commission (EC) had announced that re-polling will be held in 18 booths in Arunachal Pradesh on April 27. The Commission had declared void the polling held in these booths on April 11 due to several factors, including malfunctioning of EVMs and procedural errors. The 18 booths are under four legislative assembly constituencies in Kurung Kumey District. The State CEO office has also announced that to provide adequate security, additional companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed in the district. On April 11, both Lok Sabha and Assembly elections were held in a single phase.
* PM Narendra Modi is scheduled to address three rallies in Uttar Pradesh's Kannauj, Hardoi and Sitapur districts at 9 am, 11 am and 12 noon respectively.
* Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra will hold a roadshow in Unnao, Uttar Pradesh at 12 noon, public meetings at Israuli Fatehpur tehsil, in Barabanki at 3 pm, Hazi Waris Ali Shah Dargah, Dewa at 4 pm and another roadshow at Barabanki at 4.45 pm.
* BJP president Amit Shah will hold rallies in Odisha and Jharkhand. He is scheduled to address a rally at Daltonganj in Palamu at 10.30 am and is expected to visit Morada in Mayurbhanj district and Sukinda in Jajpur district to address rallies.
* Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Aditynath will address rallies in Uttar Pradesh's Kannauj, Shahjhanpur, Behraich, and Barabanki.
* BSP chief Mayawati will address rallies in Rewa, Madhya Pradesh
* Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in will address rallies in UP's Basti, Fatehpur, Sant kabirnagar
* BJP candidate from Gurdaspur, Suny Deol, will hold a rally in Ajmer, Rajasthan.
* BJP candidate from Mathura, Hema Malini, will be in Pali, Rajasthan.
* Congress chief Rahul Gandhi will hold rallies in Raebareli at 12.30 pm, at Nand Mahar in Amethi at 2.45 pm and at Raniganj in Amethi at 4.15 pm.
* Odisha: Over 500 police personnel, engaged in election duty, cast their votes through postal ballot in Mayurbhanj.