Lok Sabha election updates: Terrorism now limited to Kashmir due to PM Modi's actions, says Rajnath Singh
Here are the updates on Lok Sabha election from the ground.
Several leaders and political bigwigs continued with their high-octave electioneering across the country and held election rallies and roadshows on Tuesday a day after the fifth phase of Lok Sabha election came to an end.
For the sixth phase of election, voting will be in Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal and also on all Lok Sabha constituencies in Haryana and Delhi.
Thank you for joining us. Do come back again on May 8 (Wednesday) for live updates on election. Meanwhile, here are the updates from May 7 (Tuesday):
* Terrorism in the country is now limited only to Kashmir due to strong actions taken by the Narendra Modi government: Rajnath Singh
* Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh’s convoy attacked allegedly by TMC workers in East Midnapore’s Khejuri. Assam minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was also part of the convoy. While they escaped unhurt, two vehicles were completely vandalised.
— ANI (@ANI) May 7, 2019
* Ram Madhav on Shashi Tharoor's tweet on Pakistan PM Imran Khan: His love for the neighbours and hate for our leaders is very well known. He uses choicest abuses for our leaders and he has great love for people across the border. He has to think what he is doing is right or not
— ANI (@ANI) May 7, 2019
* Unfortunate, for her everything is politics. There's no civility in discourse. It's 'jungle raj' & dictatorship in Bengal, violence so much so that EC is forced to deploy central forces at polling booths: Ram Madhav on Mamata Banerjee's remark 'I don't consider Narendra Modi as PM'
* Union Minister Giriraj Singh surrendered in a Bihar court in Begusarai district in connection with violation of model code of conduct and granted bail.
* A senior functionary of the Jammu and Kashmir unit of BJP surrendered his security in Srinagar as a mark of protest against the withdrawal of security to the party activists by the government and the killing of party' leader by terrorists on Saturday.
* A polling officer died while 24 others, including security personnel, were injured when their vehicle overturned in Amethi.
* Centre granted Rs 4,24,800 crore to West Bengal in five years but the fund has gone to the syndicates, instead: Amit Shah.
* Election in West Bengal is for restoring democracy in the state, where BJP will win more than 23 seats: Amit Shah.
* If Lord Ram's name is not taken in India, will it be chanted in Pakistan: BJP chief Amit Shah at rally in West Benga.
* Against the backdrop of his meeting with Telangana counterpart K Chandrasekhar Rao, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said on Tuesday that regional parties will play a prominent role at the Centre after the Lok Sabha elections.
* Alleging that south India received "step-motherly" treatment under the Modi government, senior Congress leader Shashi Tharoor said the south will play a key role in voting out the ruling dispensation and "overwhelmingly" side with the Congress.
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s utterances on former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi seems to have spurred activists from different sectors to make a beeline to campaign against the BJP in the last two rounds of Lok Sabha elections.
* BJP's firebrand leader and Begusarai candidate Giriraj Singh gets relief from the court over 'Vande Mataram' statement.
* Enforcement Directorate has seized asset worth Rs 1.46 Crore under section 37A of FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act 1999) of Harish Gahlot for holding foreign asset equivalent of Rs 1.46 crore in UAE.
* Bhopal: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh performs 'pooja' in the presence of Computer Baba, at the venue where he is camping along with thousands of sadhus to undertake Hat Yog.
Bhopal: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh performs 'pooja' in the presence of Computer Baba, at the venue where he is camping along with thousands of sadhus to undertake Hat Yog. pic.twitter.com/8LfhAedzaW — ANI (@ANI) May 7, 2019
* TRS MP K Kavitha: There is no appointment fixed between Telangana CM K Chandrasekhar Rao and DMK President MK Stalin yet.
* AAP convenor and Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal makes a controversial appeal to voters, says, "Take money from others but vote for Aam Aadmi Party in Lok Sabha election."
* Former Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur has been made the BJP candidate from Bhopal as the party feels she is "not guilty" but was made a scapegoat by the then Congress government after coining the word `bhagwa aatanki` (saffron terror).
* The Prime Minister has lost mental balance due to lack of sleep, needs medical help: Chhattisgarh CM attacks Narendra Modi for his recent remarks on Rajiv Gandhi.
* SC dismisses plea filed by 21 Oppn leaders seeking review of its order on random matching of VVPAT slips with EVMs during LS polls. "We are not inclined to modify our order," says Supreme Court while dismissing review plea on random matching of VVPAT slips.
* Senior Congress leader Sam Pitroda attacks PM Narendra Modi over his comments on Rajiv Gandhi, says "At least 200 Delhi University Teachers have condemned Modi for his remarks on Rajiv Gandhi."
Statement by over 200 Delhi University Teachers condemning Narendra Modi for his remarks on the late Rajiv Gandhi with actual signatures... Sharing some of them here. pic.twitter.com/OYcPFSbwJc — Sam Pitroda (@sampitroda) May 7, 2019
* Bhopal: A Congress delegation led by former Union Minister and Congress leader Suresh Pachouri reaches former Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan residence with documents containing details of farmers whose loans have been waived off by the present state government.
Bhopal: A Congress delegation led by former Union Minister and Congress leader Suresh Pachouri reaches former Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan residence with documents containing details of farmers whose loans have been waived off by the present state government. pic.twitter.com/m33w1VbAVa — ANI (@ANI) May 7, 2019
* Andhra Pradesh N Chandrababu Naidu has written to the Election Commission of India demanding to verify 50% of the EVMs using the VVPAT slips.
* The Election Commission has given clean chit to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in two more cases, sources aware of the development said on Monday. Read full report
* Six EVMs and a VVPAT were recovered by SDO Kundan Kumar from a hotel in Muzaffarpur, Bihar. It is said that sector magistrate Avdesh Kumar had taken the EVMs to the hotel since his driver wanted to cast his vote. The sector magistrate has been issued a notice. Read full report
* BJP in Maharashtra came down heavily on NCP chief Sharad Pawar, saying he is playing politics over the last week's Naxal attack in Gadchiroli district.
* The Election Commission said that it had received 49 complaints about violation of the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) during the Lok Sabha elections of which 43 had been disposed off and six were under its consideration.
* The Election Commission of India has directed to transfer IPS officer Rajesh Duggal from Haryana's Chandigarh of his present posting and be posted outside Hisar and Sirsa parliament constituency immediately. Duggal is the husband of BJP`s candidate from Sirsa Lok Sabha seat, Sunita Duggal (retd IRS).
Actor-turned-politician and BJP candidate from Gurdaspur Sunny Deol to hold a roadshow in Pathankot.
* SAD leader Sukhbir Singh Badal to address a rally in Jalandhar.
* Congress leaders Ghulam Nabi Azad, Kuldeep Sharma and Huda to address party workers in Sonipat.
* Punjab Chief Minister Capt. Amrinder Singh to address a rally in Fazilka.
* Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to hold rallies in Jind and Faridabad.
* BSP supremo Mayawati and Samajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav to address a rally in Gyanpur (Bhadohi).
* SP leader Raj Babbar to campaign in Dumariyaganj.
* Rahul Gandhi to hold three rallies in West Bengal and Jharkhand today.
11:45 hrs: Public meeting at Tata College Ground, Chaibasa, West Singhbum district, Jharkhand
13:30 hrs: Public meeting at Tali Centre Ground, Purulia district, West Bengal
15:15 hrs: Roadshow near CMRI Gate, Dhanbad City, Dhanbad district, Jharkhand
* Rahul Gandhi will also address a rally in Purulia, two-day before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to hold a rally at the same place.
* West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to hold a public meeting on May 8.
* BJP president Amit Shah to address a rally at Masaudhi near Patna in Bihar.
* Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to hold rallies in Jharkhand's Jharia and Ghatshila
* Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi to hold a rally at 12 noon in Ambala Cantt where she will campaign for party candidate Selja Kumari.
* Gadkari to rally in Jharkhand's Bokaro, Gomo, Giridih.