close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency of Manipur: Full list of candidates, polling dates

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency of Manipur.

Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency of Manipur: Full list of candidates, polling dates
File photo

Outer Manipur is one of the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Manipur.

Outer Manipur registered 84.21 percent voter turnout in 2019, a loss of 0.56 percent. The total number of electors in the constituency is 1010631 while the total voter turnout is 851083. While in 2014, the constituency registered 84.77 percent voter turnout. The total number of electors in the constituency was 911698 while the total voter's turnout was 772882.

The first phase of voting in one constituency of Manipur ended on April 11. The fate of eight candidates will be decided on May 23 when counting of votes takes place and the result is declared.

Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency comprises of twenty eight assembly segments namely, Heirok, Wangjing Tentha, Khangabok, Wabagai, Kakching, Hiyanglam, Sugnoo, Jiribam, Chandel (ST), Tengnoupal (ST), Phungyar (ST), Ukhrul (ST), Chingai (ST), Saikul (ST), Karong (ST), Mao (ST), Tadubi (ST), Kangpokpi, Saitu (ST), Tamei (ST), Tamenglong (ST), Nungba (ST), Tipaimukh (ST), Thanlon (ST), Henglep (ST), Churachandpur (ST), Saikot (ST) and Singhat (ST).

Here is the full list of candidates contesting the Lok Sabha election in 2019 from Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency of Manipur.

1 Angam Karung Kom Nationalist Congress Party
2 K. James Indian National Congress
3 Thangminlien Kipgen National People's Party
4 Lorho S. Pfoze Naga Peoples Front
5 Houlim Shokhopao Mate Bharatiya Janata Party
6 Ashang Kasar North East India Development Party
7 Hangkhanpau Taithul Janata Dal (United)
8 Leikhan Kaipu Independent

In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Congress candidate Thangso Baite had won from the seat by a margin of 15637 votes. While Thangso Baite had secured 296,770 votes, he got a tough fight from Naga People's Front's Soso Lorho who bagged 281,121 votes. 

Manipur constituencies: All you need to know

In 2009, Congress leader Dr Thokchom Meinya had bagged 230876 votes to win the seat against his nearest rival Communist Party of India's Moirangthem Nara who secured 1,99,916 votes.

In the 2019 election, Congress has named K James, H Shokhopao Mate (Benjamin) is contesting on Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ticket, Dr.Lorho Mao on Naga People's Front ticket and National People's Party has named Thangminlien Kipgen from the seat.